Cladding for Front of House

I'm sensing your not a painting man Freddy
Externals - who is for heavens sake!

You would have to be clinically insane to buy a product that comes (maintenance free) ready coloured only to request it raw and paint it yourself.

Sponsored Links
You need to remember Nose ostensibly this is a diy site were people are prepared to paint things themselves, try being a length short and ringing up and asking for one length in a particular colour! The difference is which a few of you are struggling to understand is that it is about 40% cheaper if you paint it yourself and you don't have too wait 2-3 weeks for it.
Masonry paint dries in about half an hour on those planks
and when you have the planks laid out on tressles
it takes about 2 mins a plank with a roller
even if you are Fred Flintstone the slowest painter
in the world :D

and when you have the planks laid out on tressles
it takes about 2 mins a plank with a roller
even if you are Fred Flintstone the slowest painter
in the world :D
And then a few years later when the same planks need a re-paint.....oh Lordy!

Sponsored Links
If you want cladding that needs to be painted, then you may as well buy the cheapest bit of softwood and paint that.

I think you might find that some people like to change
the colour scheme of their property now and again.
Even the pre-painted stuff you buy will still need a fresh
lick of paint after 5yrs.

fortex is more thermally efficient i believe. I have it on my house and it has needed washing down twice in five years. looks good as new after.... Easy fit too.

How does the Cedral compare to stuff like this Fortex PVC cladding?
Cedral is a premium product and is more versatile in terms of how you cut it and use it. It has a mineral core so it behaves a lot better in the sun etc.

I will be cladding some dormers I have built using Cedral cladding (delivered on Tuesday) so I will post pictures when it is complete. I am using the 'lap' version and not the 'click' version.

Cedral can also be re-painted, if needs be.

Fitted correctly the sun isn't and issue at all... Painting is a down side.. but if I get fed up with the colour i'll do it again , its not cheap but it is that easy

Last edited:
Fitted correctly the sun isn't and issue at all... Painting is a down side.. but if I get fed up with the colour i'll do it again , its that easy

Are you saying you would re-clad it rather than paint it if you got fed up with the colour?

I've just posted another thread on cladding - if you have experience of the products, would you mind giving your opinion on my other thread? Txs

Cedral is a premium product and is more versatile in terms of how you cut it and use it. It has a mineral core so it behaves a lot better in the sun etc.

I will be cladding some dormers I have built using Cedral cladding (delivered on Tuesday) so I will post pictures when it is complete. I am using the 'lap' version and not the 'click' version.

Cedral can also be re-painted, if needs be.

Hi mate. Can you post some pics when it’s done? We’ve not used this stuff yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back