Cleaning up after sealing basin with silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a nice neat smooth and glossy silicone seal around the basin but how do you clean up the greasy surface which is left both sides of the seal?

Sponsored Links
Ouch, £3 at Aldis when they have them in. The smoothing tools alow a good seal, and if you carefully use a straight sided one, then you can get the sealant off above and below the seal. You have to angle some of the smoothers to get you across the grout lines, otherwise that dip into them, and give a little wave effect.

Sponsored Links
That was a failed attempt at copy/ paste
As above that set of smooth off tools is excellent
If you can't wait get them now at the price above. If you can wait , go on eBay and type in
"Caulking tool kit silicone grout smooth out bath shower sealant remover"
£2.27 but a bit of a wait
Must learn to copy and paste roperly

Ouch, £3 at Aldis when they have them in. The smoothing tools alow a good seal, and if you carefully use a straight sided one, then you can get the sealant off above and below the seal. You have to angle some of the smoothers to get you across the grout lines, otherwise that dip into them, and give a little wave effect.
Agree with most of things you said but waiting around until Aldi stocks just to save a tenner is a bit counter productive

let the silicone totally dry and then a spot of meths or white spirit on a cloth will lift the residue.

Hi Rob, that was the advice I was looking for.

I've got all the tools including the Fugi set and had produced a nice clean joint, but as it is a black worktop you can see a greasy residue.

I do have various cleaners but wasn't sure which would not damage the silicone.

Richard

You're not scraping the overbleed away whilst it's still wet... that's what's drying as a film. I find the best tool is a paint scraper blade held flat to pare it off - you can use a fresh Stanley blade but the back edge eventually cuts into your forefinger :(

but waiting around until Aldi stocks just to save a tenner is a bit counter productive

I agree, but it was to demonstarte how expensive Screwfix are getting as well. But as Rich has already done the job, he'll now know where to pick them up for the next time he needs them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back