Click’y connectors for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve used these blue connectors in the past where one end has the mains cable and the other is wired into the downlight. They click to create a maintainable join.

Are they still the way to go and do you recommend a particular type? Most of my downlights have 2 cables but some have up to 4.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
They're ok, but most modern downlights have space for two cables to be directly wired into.

I imagine you will struggle to get four cables in one of those blue connectors.

Wago connectors are the way to go and various option to meet the design

Sponsored Links
Which flex cable do I use with these connectors and Down lights please?

Which flex cable do I use with these connectors and Down lights please?
Surely you know this by now!!

Cable that is large enough for the load, assuming the current is limited by the circuit’s protective device.

What did you plan to use?

Surely you know this by now!!

Cable that is large enough for the load, assuming the current is limited by the circuit’s protective device.

What did you plan to use?
My lighting cable is 1.5mm T&E. The MCB is 6amp.
1.5mm round flex will be too chunky for the lights and the connectors I feel. That’s why I wanted to check.

My lighting cable is 1.5mm T&E. The MCB is 6amp.
1.5mm round flex will be too chunky for the lights and the connectors I feel. That’s why I wanted to check.
Got a regs book? Or even an on-site guide?
Sorry but after all this time (and 3000+ posts on this forum) you really really should know this very basic stuff.

Oh here ya go. So, your lighting circuit has a 6amp MCB?? Here’s a clue,,
4E5FA2CA-26AE-4247-AC1A-8780A207C2B5.png

I can no longer see the recent messages that were posted to this thread earlier this evening. @admin can you investigate please.

I remember that was some input from our resident pedant yesterday evening. I didn’t take too much notice as it didn’t add any value to the thread.

Maybe it was removed by moderators but don’t worry about it. I think you now have the guidance you want?

IIRC in addition to the current ratings BS7671 specifies minimum sizes depending on cable type and circuit type. IIRC for regular fixed wiring on a lighting circuit the minimum is 1.0mm² while for flexible cords it's 0.75mm² unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise.

I remember that was some input from our resident pedant yesterday evening. I didn’t take too much notice as it didn’t add any value to the thread.

Maybe it was removed by moderators but don’t worry about it. I think you now have the guidance you want?
Your chart suggests 0.75mm flex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back