Cliff Richard will lose royalties

Softus said:
gcol said:
A piece of furniture has an intrinsic value...
Really? The table is valuable even if nobody is either using it or getting pleasure from looking at it? How so?

gcol said:
...the song has no value unless it is listened to and paid for.
So because you listen to it and don't see it, the table analogy doesn't apply?

gcol said:
Also if it's right to pay for the song from 0-50 years why not for another 10 or 20 years extra?
Because it is the law.

Meaning that the table has a value to it - it can be sold to make money.

The song only has value if it's listened to - if no one listens to it then it's worthless.

Oh that's alright then. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
gcol said:

gcol said:
The song only has value if it's listened to - if no one listens to it then it's worthless.
Utter tosh - I've completely lost where you're coming from.

gcol said:
I happen to think that it is alright. If you don't, then why don't you write to your MP?

masona said:
To be fair to Cliff, he does give a lot of money to charity.

Do you really think he misses the money he gives away? The amount he gives would be like us donating loose change :LOL:

I have an idea :idea: . Why not extend the time limit but all royalties after 50 years have to go directly into the NHS :idea: After all, CR is hardly likely to miss it but the NHS could certainly make use of them :LOL:

There, problem solved :LOL:

Brightness said:
Why not extend the time limit but all royalties after 50 years have to go directly into the NHS :idea: After all, CR is hardly likely to miss it but the NHS could certainly make use of them :LOL:

There, problem solved :LOL:
This is a marvellous idea - otherwise the people who profit the most will be the record companies.

Sponsored Links
Have to agree, the next problem would be, they will invest their money off-shore instead, unless that's happening. I though Labour was going to soak the rich?

The rich people are more richer under this government than ever :eek:

Softus said:
gcol said:
A piece of furniture has an intrinsic value...
Really? The table is valuable even if nobody is either using it or getting pleasure from looking at it? How so?

If tables had no value there would be no tables.

gcol said:
...the song has no value unless it is listened to and paid for.
So because you listen to it and don't see it, the table analogy doesn't apply?

Music has value if people enjoy it, even if it is just a few lines on a sheet in your hand or a few notes in someones head.

gcol said:
Also if it's right to pay for the song from 0-50 years why not for another 10 or 20 years extra?
Because it is the law

Laws are not always right.

gcol said:
Dg123, You can't compare the two. A piece of furniture has an intrinsic value, the song has no value unless it is listened to and paid for.
A song can be immediately sent around the world to make money for whomever uses it. I can't imagine why you would begrudge the writer his dues. Also if it's right to pay for the song from 0-50 years why not for another 10 or 20 years extra?

I don't begrudge the writer anything I was merely trying to understand a point of view. I put forward a suggestion that, to me, had merit, you responded that it does not - it doesn't mean either of us are (in)correct.

Softus said:
gcol said:

gcol said:
Utter tosh - I've completely lost where you're coming from.

gcol said:
I happen to think that it is alright. If you don't, then why don't you write to your MP?

I can see why Joe-90 loses his patience with you Softus. You're probably a real nice guy, but you do come across as a bad tempered chap.
You started the thing with the table - you obviously didn't understand the thread if you start on about tables, so how can you possibly understand my response to your inane questions?

As far as I am aware, Harry Webb has written not one of his songs. If I am wrong - 'congratulations'.

joe

Softus

How can you call CR greedy :confused: and why call him a to##er, ?

Brightness it may be a good idea, but if the government had of got there act together regarding the NHS in the first place we wouldn't be talking of ways to help fund it.

PS i'm sure if the ball was on the other foot 99.99% of us would act the same as him.

rant over. :D

hermes said:

So do you consider it right to just ignore the ones YOU consider to be "not right"? We are only talking of someone who will stop receiving payment for something he did 50 years ago. I don't get paid for something I did 50 days ago.

markie said:
Softus

All men masturbate, that's why. (so do most women, but we don't talk about that, Queen Victoria would not be amused).

PS i'm sure if the ball was on the other foot 99.99% of us would act the same as him.

Not all of us are that greedy.

oilman said:
hermes said:

So do you consider it right to just ignore the ones YOU consider to be "not right"? We are only talking of someone who will stop receiving payment for something he did 50 years ago. I don't get paid for something I did 50 days ago.

Stop trying to put words into my mouth. I don't really care either way what happens to Cliff's royalties.

hermes said:

Stop trying to put words into my mouth. I don't really care either way what happens to Cliff's royalties.

Stop making unjustified inferences. You made the statement "Laws are not always right" I asked you a question. Simple.

oilman said:
hermes said:

markie said:
Softus

All men masturbate, that's why. (so do most women, but we don't talk about that, Queen Victoria would not be amused).

Not all of us are that greedy.

IMHO no one can say 100% what they would do, we are'nt celebs with millions in the bank.

Sponsored Links
Back