Clipped direct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Is it OK to clip the ring main to exposed beams?

The property is a very old farm cottage which has exposed beams. The idea was to clip the wires to the beams and then paint over them. This is how the old wiring was attached.

I've been told that all wiring, even exposed stuff, must be in conduit. Sounds wrong to me, as I don't see any need for it, but thought I'd ask the experts!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is nothing wrong with clipped direct, surface mounted cable, apart from the fact that it looks awful.

Sponsored Links
The beams are painted white / many years of lime wash.

Painting over the cables hides them quite nicely. Conduit would stick out more and make them more noticable.

Just wanted to know if they have to be in conduit for the regs, as I was informed they do, but doubted the advice.

Cheers

IIRC additional mechanical protection is only required for cables below 1800mm from the floor, but this might just be one of those best practice things.

You might be able to find a bit of D-line trunking (http://www.d-line.co.uk/) that looks nicer than the cable alone - I've used this stuff in my living room as a dado rail and it's worked quite well...

D-Line in a cottage would look a little naff.

Clipped direct would be fine - it is good practice for you :D

You could use LSZH cable - It has a white sheath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back