CLOCKED ?

M

marsaday

our panda mile display has broken and says 7324, then 213 etc. it actually had 18k on the clock.

does this indicate the car has been clocked? the clutch was replaced under warranty at about 2 yrs 10 mths. surley a clutch shouldnt go at this time and mileage (indication of clocking?)

where do i stand if it has been clocked. we bought from a local small garage.

Sponsored Links
Clocking is a lot harder to do, nowadays, because the MOT records mileage, and you're also invited to state the mileage of the vehicle when buying a tax disc. These two 'paper trails' mean that a person who tampers with a vehicle's odometer has very limited scope for reducing the recorded mileage of a vehicle.

Most car sales places include a sticker on the speedo, saying that they cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of any mileage reading. Are you quite sure yours didn't include such a warning, or put something in the small print? It's reasonable really, because it might have been done by the person who sold it to them.

Numbers that won't line up properly in the mileage reading are a classic symptom of a vehicle that has been 'clocked'... although, of course, purely mechanical readouts are getting very rare nowadays. Most are now electronic, which makes them much harder for a back-street garage to tamper with.

There's nothing illegal about replacing a faulty speedometer with one out of a scrap car. Only the intent to deceive is illegal, as I understand it.

our reading is digital. so what does it mean if it is faulty? how do we get a new one?

the clutch was replaced under warranty at about 2 yrs 10 mths. surley a clutch shouldnt go at this time and mileage
A clutch can go at any time, depends on a lot of factors for example how the car has been driven. I have seen a clutch last only a few hundred miles! (OK, so the guy drove 50 miles resting his foot on the pedal!!) What was the reason for the old one going?

Sponsored Links
Back