Co-ordinating pipework with flooring sheet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom floor has pine floor planks which need replaced. The pipework to the basin taps runs under the floorboards.

I have been considering having the boards replaced with sheets of marine plywood, with floor tiles on top.

If I were to install a wall-hung basin with exposed chrome pipes going from the taps down to the floor, with pipe collars at the base (similar to photo), how would someone co-ordinate the correct drilling locations for these in the sheet to precisely where the pipes would meet the floor?

Even if it is possible to drill the holes in precisely the correct location, how would it then be possible to connect the vertical pipes to the underfloor elbow (since that would be under the plywood sheet)?

The same issue would apply to connecting up the radiator.

Maybe it's issues such as this why some keep this type of pipework above the floor.

iu

Sponsored Links
Its best to conceal the pipe work in the wall. Then your floor is left untouched.
Same for the towel rail.

But if you want to do it that way then the pipe work is installed (pressure tested) before the floor is laid.
Personally I think the basin would still just look crappy in chrome pipe work up from the floor and would need a pedestal.

Last edited:
Its best to conceal the pipe work in the wall. Then your floor is left untouched.
Same for the towel rail.

The issue with that is that it is a load bearing wall between my bathroom and that of my neighbour's.

How is the floor left untouched? Even if the pipework is in the wall, does it still not have to go under the floorboards?

Sponsored Links
How is the floor left untouched? Even if the pipework is in the wall, does it still not have to go under the floorboards?
Yes, but you've already said you're taking the floorboards up so that shouldn't be a problem. The new floor won't need to be cut to fit the pipes if you run under the floor then up the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back