Coffee m/c tripping rcd in my extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents, looking for some help.

My extension is on a separate ring main from rest of house. Extension also comprises utility room. Appliances plugged to ring main are tv, sky box, DVD player, kettle, 2 x dishwashers, microwave, wash m/c, 2 fridges , 1 x freezer, boiler.

In all, I have 14 double sockets in the extension. One of which is on its own fuse, namely, the double oven.

All are plugged in, but not, obviously, all on at the same time.

The coffee m/c is Whirlpool, and as odd few weeks ago began to trip the rcd when switched on. If I remove every plug, and then switch coffee m/c on, it still trips. However, if I plug it in to a socket from the existing house...it's fine???

I'm a joiner to trade and built the extension myself 4yrs ago, the electrics were all done by Select registered spark, and I have all paperwork.

All help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Might there be any external stuff via the suspect ring, say an outside feed for lighting or socket via a fused spur?

It sounds like something somewhere is leaky to earth, and damp is a keen catalyst for such leaks.

Have you isolated the circuit and gone round each socket and double checked terminations?

I take it that if you use the machine on another circuit it doesn't trip?

You do have a number of potential devices that leak, the washers being prime.

Could you confirm what happens when the washers are disconnected from the circuit, does the coffee unit still cause trip?

So, the RCD protecting the extension trips when the coffee machine is switched on.

Nothing trips if you plug it in to a socket in the main house.

The obvious question to ask is:
Are the socket circuits in the main house protected by a 30mA RCD??

Hi Taylor & Christ, thanks for the replies.

The extension is protected by a 30mA RCD, while the main house has a 100A RCD.

I take it that that is the reason the coffee m/c isn't tripping the main house?

I do have an outside double socket on the back wall.

No, I haven't isolated the ring and checked the terminations, do you recommend I do this? I haven't had any indications that any may be loose.

Re the wash m/c, just unplugged it, and tried the coffee m/c agin, in the extension. It tripped the ring again.

Could it simply be the coffee m/c gents? And if so, is the anything I can do...or does it mean a new m/c?

Sponsored Links
What other markings are on the "100A RCD", does it have a test button?

A broken coffee machine is a good suspect.

There is no 100A RCD. I think you are not using the right terms
- and that may confuse any help we can give you.

This may help you

Take photo of both fuseboards and post it on here, if you are not sure..........

Wake up and smell the Coffee- the Coffee Machine is Fuxxd - the element is shorting to earth.
If in doubt a simple PAT test will confirm this.

Guys, I'm struggling to upload photos I've taken on this flaming iPad.

The markings on the RCD (which is Red coloured) for the main house are as follows...

Switch disconnector
Dom100SW
100A
240V

Is this the switch to isolate the whole board? BTW, the consumer unit is a Domae.

On the extension side of the unit, the RCCB has a yellow test button, with the following writing...

RCCB
Dom63R30
63A-30mA
240v

The 4 breakers to the left of the RCCB are for the extension. While the 6 to the right are for the main house. Of the 4 to the left, one is for the utility/ kitchen ring main, and the writing on this is...

MCB
Dom32B6
B32
6000 (this number is inside a thin rectangular line)
240V

The brand name is, 'Square D'.

Sorry about the photos, I will continue to try to upload. I hope I've given you all the correct info to go on?

Thanks

The device you refer to as a switch disconnect or is just a switch, not an RCD hence if the house sockets are fed from the non RCD protected side of the board then nothing will trip on a slight earth leakage. Your coffee machine is broken, time to either buy a new one or call out a service engineer (if it is one of those fancy inbuilt things)

Guys, thankyou for all replies, advice was gr8 and easy to follow. Will take advice and concede that the coffee m/c is dead...

...back to instant, coz I ain't paying for another, lol. Pity, coffee was great.

Thanks again.

Take it into a small electrical appliance shop, the sort that might have someone who can test it, fix the element (if that's the fault) and hand it back working.

Google the make and see how much an element migh cost, or just bin it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back