Cold Water Tap Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a mixer tap in out kitchen, we are in a bungalow.

Hot water is fine, not that much pressure but liveable.

Now cold water is very strange, even if i turn the valve to let the smallest amount through it just splashs/spltters water doesn't run smooth at all.

any suggestions with this one? or is it new kitchen tap time :(

Sponsored Links
That sounds like the way they usually behave.

Kitchen mixer taps have seperate waterways for hot and cold water right up to the end of the spout. The hot water often runs through a tube in the spout, emerging in a coherent stream, and the cold flows through the space around the tube, emerging through an annular outlet around the central tube.

So the hot and cold water flows emerge in two completely different patterns.

that is understandable

but doesnt explain why the water from the cold side cant run like a normal tap like other mixer taps we have

splashs to the stage where i have to mop up if i turn it on too quick. and too quick is about 25 degree (quarter of a turn)

Shot in the dark... is the cold to your tap fed through a flexi hose that is bent too much causing a restricted flow?

Sponsored Links
nope it is 16mm copper all the way with all soldered connections

pipe work is now 3 years old, and its done it for around 2 and a half years, starting to irritate me haha

What sort of hot water supply do you have - Combi or cylinder with cold water tank in loft?

Could be the kitchen tap runs from the mains (if so try turning down the mains stopcock a bit), with the other taps fed from a cold water tank.

What sort of hot water supply do you have - Combi or cylinder with cold water tank in loft?

Could be the kitchen tap runs from the mains (if so try turning down the mains stopcock a bit), with the other taps fed from a cold water tank.

hot water is cylinder and its not hot thats the problem

Way too much messing around to put everything onto a cold water tank aswell.

how would that make a difference any how, as if everything is off, and only the kitchen tap used, it still does it. Turning down main stop, doesnt to anything either, it just spits/splatters right till it goes off...

I have taken stones out of stop cocks and isolation valves on a few occasions... could there be a blockage of any kind? Or a blockage on a filter built into the spout of the tap?

hot water is cylinder and its not hot thats the problem

Way too much messing around to put everything onto a cold water tank aswell.

how would that make a difference any how, as if everything is off, and only the kitchen tap used, it still does it. Turning down main stop, doesnt to anything either, it just spits/splatters right till it goes off...

The point I am making is that since the kitchen cold water comes directly from the mains, whereas all the other cold and hot water taps' supply come via a cold water tank, it may be the pressure of the mains to this kitchen tap (or possibly a blockage of some description within the mains pipe) that is causing the problem solely to this tap, as it is the only tap that is directly mains fed. Do you want me to spell it out to you again, or do you think you can try to understand this now?

Try reading my original post again, and again, and again until you get it :confused:

I have taken stones out of stop cocks and isolation valves on a few occasions... could there be a blockage of any kind? Or a blockage on a filter built into the spout of the tap?

But why would the op want to put a stone in the stopcock in the first place. Honestly, you plumbers are making it so complicated - now you're suggesting it's something to do with the filter in my kettle :rolleyes:

Wait up dont talk to me like i am some 5 year old that doesnt understand .....

some forum member you are

Let me explain something to you

ALL MY COLD WATER TAPS COME FROM A MAINS SUPPLY NON ARE FROM A COLD WATER TANK WHAT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT!

and no there is no stones/blockages as EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE it is just the kitchen tap on cold!!!!!

no i havent answered my own question

Ive looked at the tap

I am no plumber i was asking advice on what it could actually be, i wasnt wanting advice on my cold water system.

If it was possibly a easy fix, or something id be better of getting some one in to look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back