Combi boiler AND 2x water tanks??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, wondering if I can get some advice

We have purchased and moved into a one bed flat which had a combi boiler and central heating system installed in 2014. For some reason though, we have an airing cupboard in which there is a massive cold and hot water tank.

We think the water tank system is the reason for our abysmal shower pressure, particularly as it's not elevated or in a loft - just at ground level - but wondered if there is even a need for the tanks anymore? Can we not just have the mains hook up to the combi and use that for the whole flat?

Alternatively, we'd be looking to get an electric pump but our worry with that is our hot water would run out within minutes. The tanks also take up an absurd about of space so we'd prefer to get those removed if we can.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Actually sorry, I've just been alerted that this is a system boiler not a combi.

Many installing a boiler to replace a conventional system with a cylinder would choose to keep the cylinder as that is the simplest and far cheaper option.

That has the advantage anyone using hot in the kitchen will not disturb anyone taking a shower which would happen with a combi..

The simplest solution to your problem would be to fit an electric pump. A typical cylinder will give a reasonable bath fill.

Thank you! Yeah we've just realised from searching that this must have been a far cheaper option (it's ex-council after all).

So would we get someone to install the pump near the water tanks or closer to the source (i.e. in the bathroom)?

Sponsored Links
An alternative to a pump for the shower is to use a hot water cylinder with two coils. Shower has mains pressure hot and cold while other taps are low pressure from the cold water tank a few feet above the cylinder but more than adequate flow And I can shower during a power cut.

twin_coil.jpg

Your flat may have been left with the tanks if your incoming water supply had insufficient pressure and flow rate for a combi boiler. You should get the incoming supply tested before deciding the best way forward. If you have good enough supply, the boiler and tanks could be replaced with a combi giving you much needed space in a one bed flat. Another option is a small unvented (pressurised) hot water cylinder to replace the tanks you currently have. These have installation constraints so feasibility would need to be checked. A pumped digital shower may be a possibility rather than a traditional shower pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back