COMBI BOILERS AND SHOWERS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM HAVING A NEW COMBI BOILER FITTED SOON 'IDEAL isar HA24' AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE SHOWER ALREADY IN USE WILL NOT BE OF USE, AFTER THE NEW COMBI HAS BEEN INSTALLED. I UNDERSTAND WHY, AS IT WAS EXPLAINED TO ME - WATER TANKS AND PUMPS ETC. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW NOW IS, WHAT KIND OF SHOWER CAN BE INSTALLED INTO MY SHOWER UNIT? AND I WOULD APPRECIATE THE NAME OF A GOOD RELIABLE MAKE WITHOUT COSTING THE EARTH PLEASE.. P.S. A CORGI REGISTERED IS FITTING THE COMBI BUT MY SON (GOOD ALL ROUND DIY IS FITTING THE SHOWER FOR ME.)MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
Firstly TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF :eek:

Secondly, quickly cancel the Isar HE24, currently about the worst and most unreliable boiler make, any Ideal, on the market at present.

Any thermostatic mixing shower will be suitable as long as it is for mains pressure, or combi use.

I always fit the Mira Excel thermostatic shower on my combis when needed.

i agree with gas4you IDEAL isar are so bad that it makes me think they set out to make it that bad just for a laugh :rolleyes:

Personally, I would cancel any installer that even considers recommending this boiler, not just cancel the boiler.

Sponsored Links
thank you all out there for your replies and comments to the ideal combi boiler. I have had alot of people telling me about this boiler not being very satisfactory, but sadly, I can not do much about it as it is being supplied by the Gov. through the 'Warm front' scheme. I fall into the category of being allocated one of these boilers. The Government grants £2700 for new updated heating per household to those who 'fit the bill' so to speak. We do not get this grant personally but through the Warm front scheme and anything over and above that is paid by the customer IE. I have over £550 extra to pay. I do not know why or what for, as it is only an Ideal combi boiler being fitted and will take just one day!.(plus I now have the cost of a new shower to be fitted !!)So, me thinks, who are the people really keeping 'warm' ??? Please do not get me wrong I am very grateful for this work being carried out and to be able to have decent heating... the downside is I do not have a say in any of the work carried out or choice of boiler.

Warmfront fit different makes of boiler as well as the Ideal.

All a bit of a con is warmfront. They are supposed to independently administer the grants and work allocation, but they own all the installation company's that get their work :eek:

so you have to pay an extra 550 quid and the grant is for 2700 so some one is getting that for just changing the boiler surely they must be doing more than that.

Hi Dave.. I promise you that is all they are doing. One man, One day job and it is going into my airing cupboard. We are lead to believe that the customer is allocated £2700 no, it must be for Warm front to run their offices and overheads etc. I checked up on the price of that boiler and it is £660, what comes out of the £2700 is the piping and fittings, plus the contractors wages for that day. I only have four radiators and they will not supply a fifth.. that's down to me. They do not supply central heating, only upgrade/update your old boiler system. Friends of mine have already had theirs installed, some are ok with it, a couple have had the men back umpteen times. When you say Warm front don't just fit Ideal, do you know this for fact? There appears to be no challenging them either, the contractors allocated to this area are called Iguana and although I have had to pay up front, Warm front/Iguana do not get their money from the Gov.until the work is completed. They can hold onto my money until it suits them to come and fit the boiler and I have been told it could be up to 6 weeks. So yes some one is taking the cream off the top and the Gov. are getting a pat on the back for giving the impression that they are helping those who need it most. I know it is wrong and you know it is wrong but it is not negotiable. Kathie

I'm not doubting a word you have said Kathie.

Unfortunately you are the unwitting member of a great rip off.

A boiler swap to a combi would usually be no more than approx £2000-£2200 + VAT, in your case all at 5% because of the grant status.

To charge you an extra £550 is pure theft :eek:

The above figure would allow for 2 days work for me on my own and a Vaillant 31Kw combi.

Hi Dave getting back to the shower, does the miras, bypass the combi? is it a complicated procedure? only because I can't be bothered with alot of work and fuss who ever does it. kathie

Sadly Warmfront is another shining example of our corupt government.

Despite the grant you end up paying a significant amount for a poor system (junk boiler and often appalling installation), the tax payer gets ripped off with an over inflated cost but the Eaga partnership and its subsidaries make a handsome profit . Due to the boilers installed and their short life the whole process is then repeated sooner than should be necessary. :evil:

You are right, I couldn't agree more, but then we are such a complacent lot, corruption is now becoming the norm. I think I shall make a new thread on the Martin Lewis Web site moneysavers. see what he can come up with... thank you all for all your help. Kathie

You are right, I couldn't agree more, but then we are such a complacent lot, corruption is now becoming the norm.
I think I shall make a new thread on the Martin Lewis Web site moneysavers. see what he can come up with...
thank you all for all your help. Kathie

Yes do it :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back