combi boilers

T

timmyquick

I am helping my brother on his house. We have a problem of where to have the combi boiler installed. As it is a terrace with a small kitchen. If a partition was built into the bathroom ( believe they call it an airing cupboard ) would it be allowed to be installed in that? this is where the previous storage tank was but we ripped it out to put a new skin of brick as the whole gable end wall was single brick. Or is this not allowed? due to electrics. There was an Fused connection unit in the old partition cupboard before it was ripped out and on the other side of this was a bath tub. this seems to be the ideal arrangement as the bathroom is a big room.

Sponsored Links
A boiler can go in a bathroom as long as it's in a cupboard which prevents anyone touching it. (And cupd should be kept locked). This is an electrical requirement, not a gas one. Also has to be a room sealed appliance, but almost all are anyway.

Make sure the pressure relief pipe discharges in a safe place, which may mean taking it down to ground level outside if there's a pavement or other access.

ChrisR said:
A boiler can go in a bathroom as long as it's in a cupboard which prevents anyone touching it.
(And cupd should be kept locked
). This is an electrical requirement, not a gas one. Also has to be a room sealed appliance, but almost all are anyway.

Make sure the pressure relief pipe discharges in a safe place, which may mean taking it down to ground level outside if there's a pavement or other access.

Thanks for the reply. We have already bought the combi boiler which has a timer for heating and water built into it. We are getting a friend of my dads to install it, who is a retired plumber. was once corgi registered but since retirement is no longer, but am not concerned about this. My concern is that the cupboard has to be locked, does this mean littery with a lock or is a standard door handle acceptable?. As this combi boiler really needs to go in the bathroom inside a partition. Ans a locked cupboard would not be very good, for when you want to set the timer for heating. The relief discharge would come out onto a pithed roof, i would assume this is ok. My dads friend the retired plumber does not want to put it into the bathroom, but if it is permitted within regulations this is want we want to do.

Working for free is he, or is he going to break the law, maybe if I act illegally and burgle your house this would be ok with you as well, or do you pick and choose the laws to break as you feel like.

Sponsored Links
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Working for free is he, or is he going to break the law, maybe if I act illegally and burgle your house this would be ok with you as well, or do you pick and choose the laws to break as you feel like.

Well as a retired plumber who is going to do the work very cheaply yes i am going to break the law. He is a devoted cristian who apprenticed as a plumber when he left school who is now 65, thus having nearly 50 years experience with plumbing i feel pretty dam safe that he is doing the work than some tosser who did an exam last year, i just want an answer to a simple question can a combi boiler go the bathroom legally.

kevplumb said:
did my last resit last year who are you calling a tosser :evil:

Sorry apologies just did not like PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN attitude have a great respect for most plummers. Just wanted to state that just because your are no longer corgi registered does not mean that you are some cowboy who has no idea of plumbing when this is just not the case. I know the law is the law but what is PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN trying to say? how many people who have no idea touched gas in U.K i bet theres a few! and why would they do it? to save money? probably. I know i am doing the same here but at least i got the sense to get someone who is more than qualified. 50 years bloody plumbing experience. Plus has anyone got a clear and precise answer to my original question?

chris r gave you the answer
exept the compartment must only be accassible with a tool
a key for a lock fits the bill
as for the timer fit a remote one in another room :)

Well timmyquick, PVM's comment was probably trying to save you the grief you will probably get when you sell the house. Questions get asked and surprise ? you have to answer them. It could affect your selling price.

As PVM asks you pick and choose the laws you break do you? The answer is "yes" if you're honest, (we all do, so get off your horse).

Your plumber (note spelling, it's to do with lead) may well be good for his 50 years, I am not a plumber, nor have I been trained as a plumber, nor have I any plumbing qualifications, but I still finish sorting out the problems left by those who are or have. So don't think someone can or can't do something because of some test you apply.

BOOM BOOM THE RETIRED PLUMBER ASKED THIS QUESTION TO THE SKYDIVER AS HE WAS HURTLED SKYWARDS KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GAS MATE NO REPLIED THE SKYDIVER DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PARACHUTES.IF your plumber does not know a basic req like siting of a gas appliance then go ahead i hope you have good life assurance enjoy the heat but keep a window open you may need the fresh air :eek:

Retired plumber is a devoted christian? That makes it ok? Maybe he'll help you queue jump if you end up at the pearly gates!
(The church I go to doesn't seem to advocate 'choice of law following').

PS. If you have such faith (in him) then why are you second guessing him on here?

I am glad he is a christain, pity you cant spell it, well as a christain he can forgive me when I break the law by drinking an driveing and running him over, I know I can handle my drink and I used to rally drive so am perfectly capable of breaking the speed limit when I drive down your street at 90 miles an hour over the limit, or is it only my own opinion that I will be safe, I am not some tosser who cant handle his drink and drive safe at 90mph, now let me see, if I go into into a skid do I turn the wheels into the skid or away from it, I know I'll ask on the internet :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back