combi v system

Sponsored Links
So to you a high flow rate with poor pressure is OK for a shower to you. Struth!

Another consideration is the need to maybe up-grade the gas pipe from meter to boiler.

Often this requires a 28 mm diameter pipe to be installed.

Given the rules about gas pipes many installers take the easy option and run it externally. It can look ugly, is a temptation for metal theft and in a few building may contravene covenants or restrictions. ( 15 metres of newly installed 28mm pipe had to be removed from the exterior of a listed building )
Sorry Bernard you are talking crap in this post,! Totally irrelevant drivel.

Sorry Bernard you are talking crap in this post,! Totally irrelevant drivel.

So why do plumbers run copper pipe along the walls of houses when a combi is being replaced a system boiler ?

Why not use the existing pipe that was adequate for the system boiler ?

The relevance is when an external pipe run cannot be fitted and thus a combi cannot be installed without major work inside the property to get the new gas pipe installed.

Sponsored Links
People have solid hardwood floors, tiled floors, Karndene and
other expensive floor coverings they are adamant we cannot
Damage them for some reason.
It’s Not a problem with Lino and rugs.

other expensive floor coverings they are adamant we cannot
Damage them for some reason.
It’s Not a problem with Lino and rugs.

The difference between theory and experience eh Jeff??

What's for dinner tonight? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

So why do plumbers run copper pipe along the walls of houses when a combi is being replaced a system boiler ?

Why not use the existing pipe that was adequate for the system boiler ?

The relevance is when an external pipe run cannot be fitted and thus a combi cannot be installed without major work inside the property to get the new gas pipe installed.

My experience is that installers just make an assumption that a new supply pipe will be needed, with a new boiler, without even considering doing the pipe capacity calcs.

other expensive floor coverings they are adamant we cannot Damage them for some reason.

Which is a factor is deciding combi ( with new gas pipe ) or system boiler with hot water storage ( likely to be OK on existing gas pipes )

The difference between theory and experience eh Jeff??

One installer had the theory that gas safety regulations took preference over the conservation department's restrictions. Very expensive mistake for which the installer paid dearly.

My experience is that installers just make an assumption that a new supply pipe will be needed, with a new boiler, without even considering doing the pipe capacity calcs.
I can assure you,,,that is bolox..You seriously think I am going to run a 28mm copper pipe up 2 sides of a house,,,just to make the job a bit longer and harder, instead of doing a 2 minute calculation...God knows what experience you talking about.If anything,most times they leave the gas pipe and combi is under gassed.

I can assure you,,,that is bolox..You seriously think I am going to run a 28mm copper pipe up 2 sides of a house,,,just to make the job a bit longer and harder, instead of doing a 2 minute calculation...God knows what experience you talking about.If anything,most times they leave the gas pipe and combi is under gassed.

Perhaps you make the calculation, but in the last two boiler swaps here an installer insisted a new ugly pipe would be needed run around the outside of the house. More work is more profit.

I can assure you,,,that is bolox..You seriously think I am going to run a 28mm copper pipe up 2 sides of a house,,

I think you are missing the point of this thread. Combi-v-system.

The logistics of getting enough gas to a combi boiler must be considered as a part of the decision between combi or system boiler.

I think you are missing the point of this thread. Combi-v-system.

The logistics of getting enough gas to a combi boiler must be considered as a part of the decision between combi or system boiler.

Obviously swapping system to combi the likelihood is that the Kw output of the boiler will probably need to be greater, so there is a possibility that a larger supply pipe will be needed to cope with that.

Perhaps you make the calculation, but in the last two boiler swaps here an installer insisted a new ugly pipe would be needed run around the outside of the house. More work is more profit.
Quicker 1 job finished,,, go to next,,,more profit that way..Cannot think of many plumbers who would chuff on for a few more hours freezing their nads off outside and arsin on in meter cupboards for bit more money...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back