combi v system

Sponsored Links
A vented cylinder? What do you do for a decent shower?
A combi like the Intergas, which is highly rated, has a hot water preheat keep the combi hot. This is smart, it only does it when there is activity - in short if there is no DHW draw offs during the night it keeps off during the night. Navien make an excellent high flow model.

Combis from the mains give high pressure showers, so no silly power pumps. They also liberate space in the house by eliminating needless tanks & cylinders.

82.5% combi over a year, 85.3% system boiler over a year, then factor in primary pipework -5% system is 80.3%. Building Research Establishment figures from boilers on test. Summer less efficient, winter same without the pipework.

Sponsored Links
Combis from the mains give high pressure showers
Really ?????? what has pressure got to do with a shower, think you are referring to flow rate ,which is what anyone is interested in, and you think you know it all little graduate, stick to your degree in media studies and leave the technical stuff to the grown ups

Ok, I know that I'm no expert but could the ideal system be ,. A system boiler with a vented cylinder and aqualisa shower with built in booster pump, obviously not power shower. I know that's not ideal to combi lovers

Ok, I know that I'm no expert but could the ideal system be ,. A system boiler with a vented cylinder and aqualisa shower with built in booster pump, obviously not power shower. I know that's not ideal to combi lovers

Yes, but I would ( as in my cottage ) invest in a cylinder with an second coil at the top. Feed mains pressure water through this coil to feed the shower, hence no booster pump required. And you can have a good shower during a power cut. Low pressure hot and cold supply to bath and basins.

twin_coil.jpg

The customers requirements, the budget and the property dictate what the most suited layout will be. Draw upon what's worked for you but that will not be the only solution or the best solution.

Shower coil cylinders were popular about 20 years ago, but have fallen away. They are semi-DHW thermal store. The stored water, unless a large coil is used, needed to be hot. If the cold mains flow supply is poor they are fine, otherwise a high flow combi is better, or a full DHW only thermal store.

Power shower pumps are noisy, vibrate, expensive, take up space and tend to leak eventually and sooner than you think.

Some use a combi also heating a vented cylinder for bath fills, having the shower only off a combi.

Moving on from your high flow combi/thermal store mention.

The BRE tested two highflow storage combis with A rated boilers and a DHW store over 50 litres. One had the equivalent SEDBUK efficiency as E, the other as G.

Better read some more brochures.

Untitled.jpg
The Dept of Energy commissioned BRE who commissioned GasTech who certify boilers. They were two B rated boilers not A so condensing but not quite 90%

While we're on the matter of sources can you find something to back up your earlier claim I'm totally wrong?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back