combi v system

Sponsored Links
Load of rubbish. Assuming the tapping point is equivalent on the 2 boilers ie at the boiler inlet, before any internal losses, and the meter is unchanged, if the old one showed 13.5mb the only way the new one could show 16.5mb is if the gas flow is lower. That's possible if the efficiency is higher (and maybe the output lower, he didn't say otherwise) but not because the new boiler works differently.
And, as has come up a few times on the forum, pressure must be 21+/-2 mb at the meter outlet, max 1mb pipe loss so minimum 18mb at the boiler inlet. So on that basis 13.5 and 16.5mb don't meet the regs, whether or not the boilers would work fine at those pressures.
Also a 21.5mb reading was thrown in without comment. We need to know the pressure at the meter to make any sense of that.

Sponsored Links
Load of rubbish. Assuming the tapping point is equivalent on the 2 boilers ie at the boiler inlet, before any internal losses, and the meter is unchanged, if the old one showed 13.5mb the only way the new one could show 16.5mb is if the gas flow is lower. That's possible if the efficiency is higher (and maybe the output lower, he didn't say otherwise) but not because the new boiler works differently.
And, as has come up a few times on the forum, pressure must be 21+/-2 mb at the meter outlet, max 1mb pipe loss so minimum 18mb at the boiler inlet. So on that basis 13.5 and 16.5mb don't meet the regs, whether or not the boilers would work fine at those pressures.
Also a 21.5mb reading was thrown in without comment. We need to know the pressure at the meter to make any sense of that.
What about 4 mb absorption?

"meter absorption" seems to be posh words for pressure drop. Unless gas is absorbed into the materials the meter is made from.
I guessed that too, but never heard it called that before.
It's why I said assuming the tapping points are equivalent on the 2 boilers. If pressure is measured part way along the gas train inside the boiler you could prove anything.

Last edited:
I guessed that too, but never heard it called that before.
It's why I said assuming the tapping points are equivalent on the 2 boilers. If pressure is measured part way along the gas train inside the boiler you could prove anything.
IMO absorb, absorption, adsorb, adsorption are all correct. None of them is relevant here though! :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back