Combi Virgin.... Which is the best boiler to go with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am mulling over the replacement of my 18 year old standard central heating boiler (Myson). It was 2nd hand ! When i bought it all those years ago for £60. It has worked great up until a few weeks ago when it just started to not work. It started to simply go out, i had the thermocouple replaced by my neighbour (a corgi registered plumber) but we do not think this was the issue... anyway, this may be the right time to join the 21st century and go combi.

What would be the best make to go for, i will look at the various models when i have identified the best make. I want one that overall is reliable... the Toyota of the central heating world so to speak.

Any opinions.

Sponsored Links
Nowt wrong with Worcester Bosh, but you will be amazed the amount of people down here that shy away from them, especially the CDI range.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with the 5 year guarantee ones then, gaz?! ;)

toyota of the combi world?has to be worc cdi range
rolls royce of the combi world? viessman/buderus
skips of the combi world? too many to list but avoid ideal/pott/baxi/,ferrolli,glowworm,anything french sd/chaff,this is just a personal opinion most faults/breakdowns are due to poor installations as in lack of proper flushing/chemicals and commissioning correctly. find a good plumber/heating eng who is concientious and reasonable, listen to his advice,above all remember all manufacturers are the same and will sting you in the price of spares combis are not the only choice you have

bripl said:
toyota of the combi world?has to be worc cdi range
rolls royce of the combi world? viessman/buderus
skips of the combi world? too many to list but avoid ideal/pott/baxi/,ferrolli,glowworm,anything french sd/chaff,this is just a personal opinion most faults/breakdowns are due to poor installations as in lack of proper flushing/chemicals and commissioning correctly. find a good plumber/heating eng who is concientious and reasonable, listen to his advice,above all remember all manufacturers are the same and will sting you in the price of spares combis are not the only choice you have

wot about Main they make good combis :D

The potterton gold uses the same heat exchanger as the Viessman but you get a far superior Support service :D

never seen a main combi but i assume their part of baxi/potterton,seen plenty of main waterheaters they were extremely reliable and well built not like that nowadays or are they? :LOL:only reason its a better support service is because of numbers,baxi/pott make such unreliable products they had to increase the amount of part changers they employ to keep them going in the first year :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all this, it has given me lots of information to look over, cash wise i had not really thought of a budget, around the £1000 mark i guess. Overall i want one that will just do what is says on the tin... ie heat the house and the water. Not much to ask i think.

Also are there any good heating engineers in the Manchester area that you guys could recommend ? I have watched the various goings on in the tv ''house of horrors'' show and do not want to follow their example !

Thanks again for all the help.

I have just Had a Worcester Greenstar CDi 35 installed in my attic, I did this for several reasons
a) Avoid un sightly Steam plume from flue if at ground level boiler
b) To have boiler closer to have water closer to Bath and shower below
c) Want to have more space in my Kitchen cupbards for fine wine.

I am using a remote Thermostat to control the boiler.

Dave Robinson of Allgreave Gas and heating , did an excellent and very professional job of installing the boiler, which involved rerouting considerable gas and water pipe work, and removal of old boilers / watertanks systems from the kitchen bathroom and attic. The installers carried out what I wanted perfectly The price was reasonable , not cheap , not top whack either.

I had done considerable research before selecting the boiler and installer.

regards
Conor

The website is below

http://www.allgreavegasandheating.co.uk/index.html

Atag or Viessmann get my vote.

glow worm and potterton don't get my vote but thats from personal experience. Worcester is a good compromise between price and quality IMO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back