Combustion Chamber split / New boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We had our boiler serviced yesterday and basically the engineer said the combustion chamber is split and he recommends replacing the boiler which is 8 years old. I didn't think to ask if the combustion chamber could be repaired but I guess as the boiler is quite old now it would be why he suggested replacement.

I have sourced a like for like boiler after speaking to Worcester, is it cheaper to buy it and have it fitted separately or does it generally work out more expensive this way? I have sourced one for £980.00

Thankyou

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Get a few quotes from various gas safe registered companies/people. Get them to quote for supply and fit and just fit only that way you can compare and decide. Also be sure to either tell them which boiler you want (assuming its been suitably chosen).

Get a few quotes from various gas safe registered companies/people. Get them to quote for supply and fit and just fit only that way you can compare and decide. Also be sure to either tell them which boiler you want (assuming its been suitably chosen).

Yeah great idea!! Have loads of guys wasting their time & end up with the cheapest cowboys in the district!! Or you supply the boiler & it goes on the blink, IF you can get a hold of the cheapo fitter, what's he gonna say?? I'll tell you 'FO'!!

Hello

We had our boiler serviced yesterday and basically the engineer said the combustion chamber is split and he recommends replacing the boiler which is 8 years old. I didn't think to ask if the combustion chamber could be repaired but I guess as the boiler is quite old now it would be why he suggested replacement.

I have sourced a like for like boiler after speaking to Worcester, is it cheaper to buy it and have it fitted separately or does it generally work out more expensive this way? I have sourced one for £980.00

Thankyou

Sarah

Sarah, you're going to fit another Worcester??!! Your last one was only 8 years old for Christ Sake!!

Many in the Trade hate WB boilers.

My advice; get three supply/fit quotes from local recommended guys, offering anything but WB.

Intergas, Vokera, Potterton/Baxi, Vaillant etc etc.

Come back on here with the details of the guy with a mid range price. Ask here what people think of the boiler they've specified.

Sponsored Links
8 years isn't at all old for a boiler and if the CC is split he should have disconnected the boiler and given you an Immediately Dangerous warning notice, which the tone of your message suggests didn't happen. Sounds like he's trying it on to me.

Its generally a better idea to have somebody quote for the whole job including parts. What was your original boiler and what did he show you to justify a split combustion chamber?, its a very unusual fault description unless you have had a longstanding leak. For the record I love Worcesters as I rarely see anything else so comfy with them.

Yeah great idea!! Have loads of guys wasting their time & end up with the cheapest cowboys in the district!!
Did I say go with cheapest? How is getting quotes wasting anyone's time? How do you go about purchasing things, find the first seller and buy it blindly without shopping around?

I was simply informing them to shop around get a feel for quotes so they know what is a reasonable price and a way they could extract labour from the main materials. Admitted I didn't mention recommended people/companies but one would assume they would use common sense when approaching someone for a quote.

8 years isn't at all old for a boiler and if the CC is split he should have disconnected the boiler and given you an Immediately Dangerous warning notice, which the tone of your message suggests didn't happen. Sounds like he's trying it on to me.

Sorry should have been more specific, he did disconnect and provide warning notice.

Hello again and thank you for the feedback as it is appreciated. I understand everyone has their preferred choice of boiler, I am not going to waste lots of trades persons time as I have children to think about and we have no hot water or heating.

The chap who I chose to service the boiler is a tradesman who has done a lot of work for me in this house, he is also gas safe registered and as you know if someone does a good job you feel comfortable and have them back.

I have telephoned around and have had 3 quotes so far and 1 of the callers i spoke to kindly popped in as they were in the area. I am trying to keep the price as low as possible and get the best value I can, I don't really want to finance the boiler but my budget is approx £1900 maximum.

A lot of other companies I called are busy and at the earliest would not quote until next week and at best wouldn't be able to fit for 2-3 weeks.

Quotes were as follows

My chap offered a Vokera vision 30 supply and fit with magna clean £1650 or £1950 supply and fit for the Worcester or he will charge £700 labour to fit if I buy the boiler and parts, I am not sure what extra parts are required?

The second guy who visited quoted £2100.00 for the Worcester and he suggested to stick with that as he installs quite a few and his opinion was that they are a reliable system. He would not suggest a different system which put me off a bit as did the price.

A telephone quote I had suggested a Valliant ecotech pro 28 over the Worcester as highly recommended but they give me an estimated price of £2k to £2.5k depending on system flushing and any extra work that would be required with pipes etc.

I sourced a Worcester like for like for £960.00, the magna clean £70.00 and have been told by Worcester the flue on the boiler would need additional flue pipe as it has been moved slightly on the updated like for like model. All the pipe work is the same underneath with no further adjustment, me buying the boiler and just having it fitted is coming out cheaper but is it suggested to have a system flush?

what model of worcester is it?, I'd be interested to know what 8 year old boiler cannot be repaired as an option.

Being suspicious, I wonder if the chamber is really split.

Or is it just rippled and he thinks that he will get a new boiler install job?

I have never heard of one on that model actually splitting.

A new one is probably about £600 and might take a couple of hours to fit.

But would Worcester cover it as a fixed price repair?

Tony

im even more confused, there is no combustion chamber on this...does he mean its corroded in the air box on the condensate outlet?

Thanks Tony, I didn't think it could be repaired and I didn't think to ask Worcester either but will do. The chap who serviced it said it was leaking carbon monoxide so can it be rippled and still do that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back