Combustion Chamber split / New boiler?

Thanks Tony, I didn't think it could be repaired and I didn't think to ask Worcester either but will do. The chap who serviced it said it was leaking carbon monoxide so can it be rippled and still do that?

The early heat exchangers used to ripple because of the material the were made of. It created some bizzare folklore they needed replacing but its total nonsense. they need replacing because they get blocked and there is no way the baffle inside to clean them will be removable after 8 years!

Sponsored Links
To leak it would need to have a hole in it.

I have never seen one holed on that make.

Several Kestons though!

It is only very thin stainless steel though.

Tony

Hello again and thank you for the feedback as it is appreciated. I understand everyone has their preferred choice of boiler, I am not going to waste lots of trades persons time as I have children to think about and we have no hot water or heating.

The chap who I chose to service the boiler is a tradesman who has done a lot of work for me in this house, he is also gas safe registered and as you know if someone does a good job you feel comfortable and have them back.

I have telephoned around and have had 3 quotes so far and 1 of the callers i spoke to kindly popped in as they were in the area. I am trying to keep the price as low as possible and get the best value I can, I don't really want to finance the boiler but my budget is approx £1900 maximum.

A lot of other companies I called are busy and at the earliest would not quote until next week and at best wouldn't be able to fit for 2-3 weeks.

Quotes were as follows

My chap offered a Vokera vision 30 supply and fit with magna clean £1650 or £1950 supply and fit for the Worcester or he will charge £700 labour to fit if I buy the boiler and parts, I am not sure what extra parts are required?

The second guy who visited quoted £2100.00 for the Worcester and he suggested to stick with that as he installs quite a few and his opinion was that they are a reliable system. He would not suggest a different system which put me off a bit as did the price.

A telephone quote I had suggested a Valliant ecotech pro 28 over the Worcester as highly recommended but they give me an estimated price of £2k to £2.5k depending on system flushing and any extra work that would be required with pipes etc.

I sourced a Worcester like for like for £960.00, the magna clean £70.00 and have been told by Worcester the flue on the boiler would need additional flue pipe as it has been moved slightly on the updated like for like model. All the pipe work is the same underneath with no further adjustment, me buying the boiler and just having it fitted is coming out cheaper but is it suggested to have a system flush?

If indeed your boiler is knackered I'd stick with the guy you know & the Vokera Vision 30 is a good boiler, cheaper & better than any Worcester.

Tony's 2hours to replace the heat exchanger is unrealistic.

Did I say go with cheapest? How is getting quotes wasting anyone's time? How do you go about purchasing things, find the first seller and buy it blindly without shopping around?

I was simply informing them to shop around get a feel for quotes so they know what is a reasonable price and a way they could extract labour from the main materials. Admitted I didn't mention recommended people/companies but one would assume they would use common sense when approaching someone for a quote.

Granted, but you'd have most of the RGIs in the area quoting!! To quote for work costs money & generally done in the evenings, where guys should be spending time with their family.
3 quotes is plenty.

Sponsored Links
I give budgetary quotes by telephone.

But many feel they must call at the property.

Perhaps they think anyone seeing them will immediately sign up ?

Some go on the way home, looking dirty and smelling sweaty!

But to increase the chance they need to finish work, shower, dress smartly and apply the aftershave. So the evening is gone!

Tony

Perhaps they think anyone seeing them will immediately sign up ?

Some go on the way home, looking dirty and smelling sweaty!

But to increase the chance they need to finish work, shower, dress smartly and apply the aftershave. So the evening is gone!

Tony

Eh??!! Never had a Painter working in my home that didn't call in on his way home in his White Overalls to quote for a job. If fact, most people expect a Tradesman to turn up in their work wear to look at jobs.

If you turn up Tony stinking of your Old Spice, I think the Lady Olive would set the dogs on you!!

Overalls can be taken off to expose the clean clothes underneath.

I even step back from some of the dirtiest and smelliest in the merchants.

Tony

Telly Tony slating other imaginary installers again
May I suggest you stick with the tried and tested guy you have already
There are a lot of charlatans on these forums touting for trade.

Tony
The last time we met you weren't exactly smart nor did you particularly smell nice....as for that scruffy car you drive......

Thanks Tony, I didn't think it could be repaired and I didn't think to ask Worcester either but will do. The chap who serviced it said it was leaking carbon monoxide so can it be rippled and still do that?
Afraid I think you're being well and truly fleeced. Even if the main heat exchanger/combustion chamber is knackered they can be replaced for much less than the cost of a new boiler, and in much less time too. Worcester will likely give you a fixed price to repair it if you call them

You do it on here too, and they're erratic and often wildly inaccurate

That's because it's the proper way of doing things

Perhaps they think anyone seeing them will immediately sign up?

Absolutely not, having someone sign up immediately is a disaster - it constitutes an off-premises contract which gives consumers all sorts of rights such as a cooling-off period. It's a regulatory nightmare.

Tony's 2hours to replace the heat exchanger is unrealistic.
True, you can do them much quicker than that. (y)

OP - ive never seen a greenstar junior that couldn't be repaired. Id be contacting WB fo a fixed price repair if i were you. That boiler should last much longer than 8 years.

Overalls can be taken off to expose the clean clothes underneath.

Tony

Not many tradesmen travel by Bus Tony.

If I'm standing behind a Plumber in the Merchants that's smelling of Boss White & his clothes are covered in silicone & Boss White, they've got my great respect.

It's clear that Agile has no place in this industry , he is neither experienced nor qualified as his input over the years clearly suggests.

Sorry should have been more specific, he did disconnect and provide warning notice.

@minimee: you are caught between a rock and a hard place, I know!

You are without a functioning heating system, in the middle of winter, with a family and facing the prospect of a big spend!!

It's a common story for us plumbers.

In the interests of giving your, tried and trusted, tradesman the benefit of doubt... why don't you ask him to come back and show you the defect so you can take photos of it. You can tell him that you have been talking with Worcester Bosch direct and that they have said it "may be" repairable under their "fixed price" policy and asked if you could send them some photos. Explain to him that you want to exhaust other avenues before committing to the ultimate layout.

If he's genuine, this should not be an issue with him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back