Comm and Strapper cable colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking that the Comm and strapper cable colours don't matter so long as they are sleeved as live switching?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As long as they are sleeved the same colour as the line conductor (ie brown) then no problem. This does not include the bare cpc conductor in a twin and earth cable though or the green/yellow in a flex as they should not be used as a live conductor in any instance !

I'm using blue as my strappers and sleeving them with brown.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sponsored Links
well it does matter which you use, i always use the proper brown as the common in a 3 core & earth cable others must be brown sleeved tho.
two core strappers should realy be twin brown so these dont matter

No problem with using blue sleeved brown as a line conductor.

As for 3c&e in normal 2 way lighting, as long as the black and grey are both sleeved brown for use as a line conductor it doesn't really matter which one does what.

If it is conduit wiring, then there is little excuse for not using the correct colour brown TBH. Using blue as a live in conduit/trunk is pretty poor.

For 3C+E, everyone does it differently, but I tend to place the brown in L1 (with the brown from the two core drop as it makes sense to!), grey as L2 (with the blue from the two core drop as again, grey is the old blue, so it makes sence to!), black as common.

See on a concersion wired two way setup I always use the brown of the 3 core in the common and dont really give a monkeys which others go where. If using them for strappers and neutral I will use the grey for neutral, only to please my NIC man who was quite keen that we all started "de-neutralising black".

I always use the brown of the 3 core in the common and dont really give a monkeys which others go where.

As long as you use the same colours for L1 and L2 and BOTH ends (don't switch them). Yes it will work either way, but it is far more professional to keep L1-L1 and L2-L2, this then means if both switches are in the same position (both 'off' or both 'on'), then the light is off. If the switches are in differring positions, the light is on.

Yes it will work either way, but it is far more professional to keep L1-L1 and L2-L2, this then means if both switches are in the same position (both 'off' or both 'on'), then the light is off. If the switches are in differring positions, the light is on.

That works only with supply and lamp return on the L1/L2 lines though. If you are wiring with the "conventional" method (i.e. supply to one switch common and lamp to the other), then you need to cross-connect L1 of one switch to L2 of the other if you want both up and both down to be off (assuming you are using two switches which are consistent in both having L1 up and L2 down, or vice versa, and assuming that there aren't additional complications such as a twin switch where one is effectively mounted upside down.)

If you add a third intermediate switch, the "all switches the same way is off" approach can't work anyway, since if you wire it so that all up is off, then all down will be on, and vice versa. You can only ever get "all up" and "all down" to be the same lamp state (on or off) with an even number of switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back