Commissioning a boiler installed by A.N. Other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builder subcontracted a boiler installation (system + tank) to another (registered and decent) company. They did a decent job I think - and local plumber confirms this.

However, builder disappeared mid-job - obviously there is an ongoing dispute involved here but that's another story. He hasn't paid plumber so they're refusing to come back and deal with boiler.

The upshot is that while my boiler is installed and working, it isn't commissioned/signed off/notified etc.

My local plumber - who is very competent and I wish I'd employed in the first place to do the work - says they charge £500 + VAT to commission a boiler and unvented cylinder done by another person, including notification. He appreciates it's steep but that's their policy.

Any thoughts?

Happy to give any details. Not hiding anthing here!

Sponsored Links
At £500+vat I'd take their hand off. He will be assuming full legal responsibility for the safety of the installation - no small matter. It's a bit of a grey area - commissioning an installation fitted by someone who is not Gas Safe Registered is definitely illegal, but commissioning one fitted by another Gas Safe company I'm unsure on. Do you have definitive proof that the original installer was Gas Safe Registered?

Yes, I know who the company was and all details on them indicates they were gas safe. While I understand their position (they haven't been paid), I can't afford to pay them again and had already paid the builder.

So in short, you're saying 500 is fine and I have to suck it up, yes?

It is a requirement of Building Regulations that both need to be registered with the local building control. Stuff paying £ 500.00, the original contractor/installer is legally bound to register the products with building control.

Sponsored Links
That I undersatnd but getting an irate plumber (who doesn't give a cr*p about my woes and hasn't been paid) back in to sign off something so imperative is a difficult/slightly worrying thing, no?

Spareshunter makes an interesting point. Technically the original installer has contravened gas regs by leaving an uncommissioned appliance connected to the gas supply able to be used. I don't think Gas Safe have the power to force him to commission it though, only to make safe, IE he could just as easily turn up and cap it off if you try to use the regs as a stick to beat him with. A boiler that doesn't work is very safe, after all...

You have to take a grip and get advice from building control and Gas Safe easy to do.

The upshot is that while my boiler is installed and working

Technically if the boiler hasn't been commisioned and recorded on the benchmark supplied, you should not be using the boiler. Commissioned means the boiler has been tested to boiler manufactures instructions FGA readings taken and other tests and recorded on the Benchmark.

Recording on the benchmark page is not a legal requirement however it's your proof that the job has hopefully been completed correctly as MI and may be needed in guarantees and extended warranties.

Forking out an extra £500+vat is probably the pragmatic solution if you and the builder have parted company.

It gets you a boiler that is certificated and therefore your house insurance is intact.

Its especially worth it if you have a good plumber that you trust. Its good they have a price set for it and are prepared to do the certfication. It also means you have somebody that will come out and help with any problems during the guarantee period.

Would the original guy not come back for the £500? At least he would have some money from the job while he catches up with the builder.

Thanks all. This has been really helpful. Going to book him in now. I completely trust him and your replies speak a lot of sense.

Getting the original person in IS an option but I've completely lost trust in anything the builder (or his subcontracters did). A bit messy, really.

The company that has volunteered ( £500.00) to commission the boiler and register it will be acting illegally unless they remove and replace the boiler, flue, and gas connection. The way over it is to get another engineer to service it as MI and record just that, then you can pursue the original installer for not registering it at a later date if they don't play ball.

Thanks all. This has been really helpful. Going to book him in now. I completely trust him and your replies speak a lot of sense.

Getting the original person in IS an option but I've completely lost trust in anything the builder (or his subcontracters did). A bit messy, really.

My first thought was as per Ian H. Get the original installer back.

I thought you said he did a good job? You cannot blame him for not completing if he has not been paid, although he should not have left it working. I suspect he will be happy to get somethong out of it, maybe even happy with less than £500 .

If the builder dissapeared mid job, how have they had all the money?

BTW, I am guessing that £500 (£600 with VAT) is the company policy as they don't really want to do it, and you are leaning over a beer keg. Someone WILL do it for (a lot) less. Gas Safe sanctioned properly commissioning and signing off others install, on the grounds that it is better done than not. They will not tolerate the practice of a non registered doing it and it being signed off, as a pre-arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back