Cowboy Plumber problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could help me with any advice or maybe they've had a similar problem in the past. Apologies for the long post!

I recently had a new bathroom fitted, complete with a new combi boiler (oil fired). The plumber came highly reccomended and had OFTEC on his business card, so I thought we'd be OK. However, job was a nightmare, took 4 weeks longer than planned, and since finished has had a few quality issues. The main problem however is the boiler.

A couple of weeks back it started making squelching noises and having erratic hot water. We'd decided not to get the original installer back as we'd been glad to get rid of him, so we called another local guy. When he arrived the first thing he did was check the commissioning and warranty info, which I hadn't checked. Turns out the installer hadn't filled in the warranty info or the commissioning form. I contacted him and he said he'd come and fill them in, which he's not done. I also contacted the manufacturer and they did confirm it had a warranty, but that they wanted the installer to repair it, which I refused. Turned out there was a faulty pump, due to air in the system. They insisted we pay for a new pump, they'd then forward it to the maker Grundfos, and if they agreed there was a fault they'd reimburse us. We argued with them for a while about this not being right, and the warranty was with them, not grundfos, but eventually couldn't take the loss of cosy showring facilities and caved in.

The boiler problem was fixed by the new plumber, and I then decided to double check the original installers credentials, turns out he had been OFTEC but hasn't been since 2008, which I learnt meant he couldn't have commissioned the boiler anyway, it then became apparent that he also hadn't informed building control (Tried to fob me off by saying he didn't need to as it was a replacement boiler not a new system). I have now contacted building control and had to pay them, but not yet arranged for them to visit, as I have now found out whilst having an EPC done, that the boiler he has fitted also isn't condensing, which apparently it should be unless I have a certificate from building control. I'm concerned that building control won't sign it off as a) It hasn't got a completed commissioning form, and b) We don't have an exemption for non condensing.

Is there anything I can do? OFTEC weren't interested, even though he has his old number on his business card! The job wasn't done on the cheap, in fact I know think we were ripped off. The cost was £4500 + VAT, I can get the boiler online for £900.00 and there was minimal pipework needing changing.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
As far as I know if it isn't a band A condensing boiler it will have to come out.

See what other have to say first but you may need to make a claim of the installer.

When I read this, I had to wonder whether it was a genuine post. I'm still not convinced.

A bathroom and boiler took 4 weeks longer than planned. :eek: How long was the job in total?

If OFTEC have washed their hands, my next call would be to your local Trading Standards.

And - you're happy with the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it is true! Although it is a little Monty Python...

In fairness the bathroom does look very nice, just doesn't work that well!

In addition to the above they fitted the shower screen upside down (after first fitting it correctly then deciding it had been labelled wrong and they took it off and refitted it), took the screw thread off the basin tap when fitting it, so that it became loose within a couple of weeks, and had to be replaced.

But it does look nice!

Job took 7 weeks in total from start to completely finished, although mostly because they weren't there all day every day. Was supposed to be 3 weeks and my wife and daughter moved back to her mums for that period due to no heating/hot water etc, and they ended up staying there for 4 weeks before moving back in.

I cant find an online reference to it's efficiency rating - it's a Mistral c2 20/26 - I can find it's condensing equivilent the CC2 20/26 and that is SEDBUK A rated.

If it does have to come out - and if it's not upto building regs - who is ultimately responsible - Me as the home owner or the installer who should have known and abided by the rules? He's even put an additional drain out of the wall like a condensing boiler - it's just not connected to anything internally!

I had guessed at trading standards but thought I'd try and take some advice beforehand.

Also, he has fitted the same boiler previously for my sister in law, which we have now realised has the same issues - no building regs notification, not condensing etc, and this was an entirely new system in a house with no previous heating system.

Thanks

Andy

Firstly although you might not have a condensing boiler. Nobody cares a damn so don't go to the expense of building control. Waste of time.
Loads of illegal boilers installed and nothing happens. If you want
to rent it out/sell any oftec engineer can give you a landlord
oil safety certificate that will be fine.

Just sit back and the boiler will heat and supply hot water for years.
Don't worry any further.

You will still have a warranty on the boiler provided by the manufacturer
whatever the manufacturer says. Although they could be awkward
saying the boiler was installed by someone not oftec registered.

I vaguely thought that oil boilers did not have to be condensing because they were more efficient anyway?

Its annoying when we hear of these people who calmly rip people off telling them blatent lies.

But since he is a known person surely he is seriously at risk of having someone take him to court claiming significant danages?

Here in France at lunchtime we met this fellow who has a very nice house and he was telling us how he always greets new tradesmen in the same way, "whatever extra you think you will be able to get out of working here will not be the case". He has had to adopt that stance because the place is so big and impressive that they all think that they are on to a good thing. The new roof alone cost about 48,000 pounds.

Tony

He's even put an additional drain out of the wall like a condensing boiler - it's just not connected to anything internally!

Andy
He`s not left the old overflow from the cistern in place , has he :confused:

Sounds more likely to be the pressure release valve vent.

Check that as could be safety issue involved if not taken outside!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back