Is this allowed?

What you're saying to me is, it's OK for me to screw the bracket to the wall, but not hang the boiler on it.

NOt me, that was the other bloke. I don't think he's right!

As I said, if there's a bracket, all the fixings are exposed,

Sponsored Links
No . . . when the boiler is hanging on the bracket, it is not possible to see the bracket or the fixings even with the boiler cover removed.

Just spent the last two minutes hanging from the boiler and boy, my arms are tired.

The cost quoted by rgi s for a boiler will often be higher as the responsibilty under the sale of goods act falls back to the supplier.

If there is a fault with the boiler you will ring the rgi to get it sorted and you will expect it to be free. Thats why we charge extra for the boiler to cover these particular events and to cover the cost of arranging the collection etc .

If there is a fault with the boiler you will ring the rgi to get it sorted and you will expect it to be free.

Yes, FREE . . . as in FREE . . . as in not paying for it. If you read your own argument back and apply some logic snb, effectively, an RGI is charging me in advance for something should be that free that I'm not going to need anyway unless there is a problem with the boiler. That's totally and utterly mind-boggling!

This has got to be one of the only industries that could put forward that sort of argument for increasing the cost. I'm sorry snb, but your post has done nothing to improve my well-founded opinion that many trades are looking to add on costs to the customer wherever possible.

If there was a fault with the BOILER, I would call the manufacturer and expect their service engineers to fix it for free on site under the terms of the warranty.

If there was a fault with the INSTALLATION then I would call the RGI and expect them to fix the problem for free - if the contractors work is sub-standard, naturally I don't expect to pay for it to be corrected.

And a fault with a boiler that would require it to be collected . . . why the hell should I be expected to pay a premium for that!! If I bought a new car and the engine siezed after 1000 miles under warranty, it wouldn't cost me anything to get the car picked up by the dealership, have a new engine fitted and have the car returned to me. I wouldn't expect to pay a premium when I bought the car as insurance against that.

Maybe I'm just totally deluded and have utopian expectations that are totally detached from reality . . .

Sponsored Links
I'm not expecting an answer to this question snb, but do you return the mark-up on the cost of the boiler to the customer in the event that there is no problem with the boiler which requires a visit from you to correct?

I think you get my point.

I'm not expecting an answer to this question snb, but do you return the mark-up on the cost of the boiler to the customer in the event that there is no problem with the boiler which requires a visit from you to correct?

so why ask a question?

As with many people who are not in business they do not fully understand the basics and as to how costs are calculated. These can be hidden in various forms or clearfly identified. It is up to the business.

When it comes down to it, it's what you are prepared to pay for it. Basic supply and demand.

When ever i quote for jobs i never give a price breakdown for a job. It is always a fixed price for the whole job. Within it that an element for all business costs will be included.

If i was to break it down and put advertising as a cost within my quotes you would laugh and not want to pay for it along with taxing my van. I don't work with the intention of making a loss!

We normally add extra for future problems to cover ourselves, how is this any different from people paying over £200 a year to BG or some other breakdown team for insurance on their heating systems, also id love to know where you get a WB for £750, I gather that was plus VAT.

id love to know where you get a WB for £750, I gather that was plus VAT.

INCLUDING VAT. I'd love to know which suppliers you're using that you can't get one for £750. I gather you must be buying everything on account at inflated prices from one of the majors like plumbase.

5 minutes on google and you'll find plenty.

No . . . when the boiler is hanging on the bracket, it is not possible to see the bracket or the fixings even with the boiler cover removed.

Then guess what - YOU wouldn't hang the boiler , so the fixings CAN be inspected. Good grief surely that's obvious?

Your post makes me angry, the word basically did it most. have fun installing it, please don't get a RIDDOR eh?

LekkyBoy

I took the bull by the horns last year after seeing the quality of a local firm's RGI's installation in my neighbours house. Boiler and Gas bits seem to work fine but the rest, pipes, electrics building work etc was absolute Carp.

The same firm had quoted me 4k for a new system. I sourced my own WB, and all the copper and associated bits. Did all the runs, the rads, hung the jig - bored the flue hole and associated stuff. I helped another RGI to hang the bolier and laboured for him on the day he came.

He was very good and was very happy with my work, (a pre-condition of the commissioning).

I really enjoyed it, learnt a lot and now know my way around my system. Total cost to me. £2,050 Including the RGI.

Go for it Matey, save yourself a packet and as it is yours you will put some pride into the quality.

Next time i get my van serviced ill see if the garage does not mind me labouring for them for the day to keep the cost down. Any parts needed i could get them as well to save some more money. How many garages would be happy to do that.

So glad my first posting to this site has upset so many people. Best I start as I mean to go on :D

In reply to your replies:

snb - A rhetorical question is one that requires no answer. It was a question I think you should be asking yourself. I am self-employed and have been so, profitably, for 12 years - without needing to charge my customers in advance for services they may not need. You are right though . . . I don't understand business - the business of RGIs and their hidden charges.

BigBurner - ************** to you too. Very constructive.

ChrisR - Yes. It is obvious. Thanks for your general advice and assistance. You've been very helpful.

Gas2Air - I use the word "basically" to signify a shortened description of what I require from a RGI. I know this work isn't simple or basic and I lack both the knowledge and equipment to do it myself. That's the reason people with your skills are in business! However, the work I intend to do myself IS simple and basic (for me it is anway) If you can't accept that, I suggest you take yourself off somewhere for a nice long ego-massage :p I'll send you a copy of my RIDDOR and you can have it framed.

toptec - Thanks for the support! My project and yours are almost identical and hearing a success story is very encouraging. Well done sir! I'm actually in North Somerset, so could you possibly tell me which company you got in?

andytheplumber - You expect people to believe that you would willingly pay someone else for work that you can do just as well yourself? That you
are happy to pay a premium for items that you can purchase yourself cheaper? You're not? Didn't think so. Just as long as it's not done in your back yard eh ;) Ask yourself what you're doing here.

And in general - Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this site called DIYnot? And isn't the purpose of this site to provide advice for people with their DIY projects so that they can do the job correctly, cheaply and above all safely? What I've actually found - on this section of the forum anyway - is many egotistical professionals (ChrisR excepted) who seem to want to actively discourage people like me from doing the very thing this site is there to support.

Can we wrap this one up now? [/rant]

If a CORGI guy feels they are being taken advantage of for being paid correctly for the work they ACTUALLY do, then it speaks volumes about the breed.
I really don't see the logic in that statement.

How does just one [hypothetical] RGI's feelings tell you anything much about the feelings, or behaviour, of all the real people in the that trade/industry?

A lifetime of poor-quality-minimum-work-for-maximum-money jobs by "professional" tradespeople I have employed has brought me to a situation where I have taught myself through reading and hands on experience. I now only call tradespeople for work that I am unable or not legally allowed to do - which isn't much.
That's admirable. But I'm surprised that you don't realise that you are unusual - most DIYers don't have the same degree of determination combined with practical aptitude.

It's not about being a tight s*d - it's about not paying someone else premium rates for poor quality work where in most cases I can do it just as well or better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly what this site is all about :confused:
You're wrong. Firstly, as per my previous comment, most DIYers can't do the job "as well or better", but they can do it adequately for their purposes. Secondly, your motivation is in doubt - see below.

Appreciate the comments though guys. I'm sure there are many quality tradespeople out there - I just can't find them.
People come here for one or more of the following reasons:

1. To save money.
2. To deal with a crisis.
3. To learn, and/or gain confidence.
4. To show off.

Clearly, you've come here to save money, and maybe also to gain a little confidence. Nothing wrong with that - it doesn't make you a tight s*d. However, it does make people suspicious, particularly because you're intelligent enough to have worked out the answer to your first question. This gives people the impression that you're not genuine, and I'd put money on this impression having been the reason that you find yourself looking back on a "lifetime of poor-quality-minimum-work-for-maximum-money jobs by "professional" tradespeople."

If you've ended up not trusting most of the professionals you've hired, then perhaps it's because there's no mutual trust, and, if so, maybe you should ask yourself why that is.

BTW, you don't "employ" a self-employed tradesperson - you can only engage them, or hire their services. Since you're self-employed I'm surprised you didn't know that. ;)

I have no problem at all in registering boilers others install. I charge a fixed fee of £1 Million + VAT.
Thanks for the quote Harrogate - I've had 3 now and you are 2nd lowest. I am always suspicious of the lowest anyway so that makes you the front-runner for the work. I'll be in touch . . .
HG is overcharging - my price for this work would be £1 million including VAT. That also includes all travelling costs to/from Somerset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back