Compaq C300 screen problem (see photo) YES THERE IS ONE NOW!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone diagnose the fault with this please? I'm assuming screen or invertor need replacing but don't know which. Sometimes the laptop works fine for hours with no problem but then it starts flickering slightly and gradually more lines appear until it looks like this. If I shut it down then reopen a few minutes later its fine again.

Sponsored Links
Your image hasn't appeared!!

Inverter is more than likely to go before the screen. £2-£5 on fleabay.

Dismantle yours 1st and try to replace with the same serial number - I bought one for my laptop which was for my model, but it had a different serial - and had similar problems as the faulty one.

Bought another with the same serial no. and it has worked for 10 months so far :)

Homer

Replace C300 hinges

Thanks. I did wonder because it just says img on my screen but I thought maybe others could see it as it's showing in my photo file. I'll try again (maybe reduce the size). If it's the invertor I think I will get someone else to fix it as it looks a bit too tricky for me! I have looked at how to replace a screen and serial wire - looks do-able.

GALLERY]

That's not the inverter, more likely to be the graphics chip failing. Try plugging the laptop into an external monitor.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Any idea how much a new chip will cost? Would a novice be able to fit it myself?

:( Looks like we'll be running it into the ground then.

It still works now but then goes like the above pic after a couple of hours. Will just have to live with it.

Thanks.

The GPU may not be failing, just getting too hot. You can get a service manual here if you want to dismantle it and take a look inside to see if it needs cleaning. Often a sign of dry joints too, which will need some experience to deal with. Armed with a manual, you might know someone who could examine the board once you remove it.

Thanks!

Would it help to get one of those angled stands that lift the base up and clear the fan? I have also noted a bit of white bleeding in from the bottom of the screen on startup but seems to disappear once booted up.

I'd check that the airways and fan are clear first before spending any money. You might be able to get to the appropriate areas by lifting the keyboard. However, even a single dry joint in that area can cause the issue you describe, and will mean stripping out the main board for examination and reworking the joints, which requires some patience and the right kit to rectify properly. Might be worth a punt though if you have nothing to lose :)

Cheers for that. When I thought it was a new screen I considered replacing it but thats £70+. It's not a high spec laptop and just a starter one for the kids so it's not worth spending that on it when you can get a new one, better spec for £250. It's a shame nothings made to last these days but technology is moving so fast we would be bored of it before it wore out if it was! :rolleyes:

Flog it on fleabay with the fault listed. Someone will have it from you with an aim to fix or strip it for parts. You might be surprised by how much you get. :)

Sponsored Links
Back