MCB tripping for no apparent reason

I think it may be electrician time to be honest, for your safety.

the RCD refused to trip even if I deliberately pushed the RCD tester

Are you saying the test button on the RCD does not work anymore?

Sponsored Links
Do I set it to the right where there is the letter A with some squiggly lines beside it? If so what setting 200u, 2000u, 20m or 200m?

I'm not a sparky, but couldn't help but notice that the OP proposes to use the 'A' range on his meter - which is for measuring current, not resistance.

You must not do this - at least in the capacity in which you describe - presumably connecting the probes right across the circuit causing a dead short.

You are looking for the resistance (ohm) scale on the meter and you must turn the power off before measuring.

If you are looking for a low resistance it should be pretty close to 0 ohms.

Sorry Sherlock, The RCD would not reset but the MCB had stopped tripping out.

The sparky was on his day off and the maintenance manager gave it to me. I will read the info you have sort carefully.

Since I disconnected the dodgy spur wire from the circuit, there has been no more tripping..... so fingers crossed!

I really appreciate your assistance and your patience!

Cheers

KennyB

Sponsored Links
The sparky was on his day off and the maintenance manager gave it to me. I will read the info you have sort carefully.
Please do not play around with that tester - if you don't even know the difference between current, resistance and voltage you risk a large bang, damage to your installation, damage to the tester, and damage to yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back