Compatible TRV heads for ancient British Gas/Celsia TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m wondering if you clever people can help me track down some compatible TRV heads. I now have three that don’t work. The valves and pins work fine so I was optimistically hoping to be able to just replace the heads.

They have British Gas or Celsia branding written on the top and I would guess that they are at least 20 years old. There are some pictures attached.

However, having tried three local plumbing shops today, no one was able to find a head that properly fits. It seems the collar on my heads is deeper than the collar on heads that are readily available. As an example, this head from screwfix nearly fits but the collar isn’t quite deep enough. https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-angled-thermostatic-trv-15mm-x/60368

Does anyone know of any compatible heads, or do I need to resort to replacing the full valves?

C59C4A75-9EEF-467B-B46E-0C8DF4271582.jpegBF388009-B9B3-47C0-ABDF-2E2B8EFA0BE3.jpeg3028881D-7A93-4FC0-87E5-3B6077D24627.jpeg7B242087-8C8D-49C0-BA25-DA7BC676CC60.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks, one of the independent plumbing shops I went to did try a couple of Drayton heads, but the collars were not quite as deep as mine, so they probably wouldn’t quite reach the pipework.

Not sure what you mean by 'not reach the pipework'. The thread needs to match and the centre which presses on the valve pin.

Sponsored Links
An easy way to test is - If it screws on OK, when the heating is on, turning the TRV to zero or off, the radiator should go cold. If it does that, then it fits absolutely fine.

Thank you everyone. An update, I ordered a Drayton RT212 and it does indeed fit!

(I’m sure that was one of the heads that a plumbing shop said wasn’t compatible…)

Photo attached of the old head and the replacement in case of use for others.

Your help is much appreciated, I was so close to replacing the entire valves!

Attachments

• FC0E9B30-7AA0-4168-A283-D74AD5CC4219.jpeg
    FC0E9B30-7AA0-4168-A283-D74AD5CC4219.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 393

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back