complete brake failure, I'm a lucky boy

I have had brakes fail in the past due to the fluid boiling due to spirited driving - which I certainly don't do now! that was on a PC Cresta though so it was a few years ago.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I've lost the rear brake on my FJR1300 motorcycle every year for the last three years due to overuse when coming down mountain roads at a fair lick in France and Italy on my annual motorcycle trip. I always change the fluid as part of my pre-trip maintenance schedule too. Luckily I still have the front brake to stop me and the rear brake comes back within 15 minutes or so after cooling down.

Off topic, but I found the linked brakes on my Blackbirds (3 off) were particularly good at preventing this one.
If you want a stress free run to the Continent, don't go in via Ijmuden (Amsterdam)......worse traffic I've ever seen, queues for 150K :eek: and during 10 miles of filtering I had a 16 wheeler curtainsider give me a little squeeze :sick: Hull or Portsmouth for me every time.
John :)

Mine are also linked - just can't keep my foot off the brake to wipe a little speed off when going into a mountain hairpin! Living in Essex, it's Folkestone - Calais on the Eurotunnel shuttle for us.

Sponsored Links
I'd love to see Peter N driving a PC Cresta hard enough to boil the brake fluid ! Then tyres must have been screaming....

To be honest I was actually towing it - from Bromley down to here, my friend who was sitting in it kept braking down hills to keep the rope tight. We did about 170 miles with no problem but going through our village he ran into the back of me, I felt the bump and braked and he hit me again! I was towing it with a Morris Oxford.

I bought it for £25 with a burnt out clutch, I removed the engine and fitted a Perkins 4/108 diesel, I drove it for 5 years and sold it for £50 - but you had to in those days.

Peter

Thanks for hijacking my post and obscuring valuable information for others.

The cars now been fixed.

So what was the problem then? And loosen up a little, it's a public forum not your private chat room.

Thanks for hijacking my post and obscuring valuable information for others.

The cars now been fixed.

FFS. How exactly have we 'obscured' valuable information for others? Us 'highjackers' are about the only ****ers who bothered posting. As already asked above, if its now fixed, why not tell others what the fault was as that will be a real help to them.

Maybe I was dwelling too much as to what could have happened.

The problem was the other brake pipe. I asked the mechanic "surely you checked the pipe when you replaced the other one?. He advised, he had checked it, but that the pipes are made of steel so they are always rusty and covered in muck, so its difficult to detect any problems.

The lesson in all this is, make sure your seating position allows your foot to reach deep into the footwell, so you're able to operate the dual system brake.

Thanks to all those that helped.

Lets hope all is safe now!
MOT testers can only assess what they see so pipes disappearing into dark voids on the vehicle are always going to be an issue, and they aren't even allowed to remove any covers, as far as I'm aware. Maybe that needs to change - or maybe brake pipes should always be made of cupro nickel or whatever.
John :)

A good mechanic should know what is surface rust and what is penetrating rust on a brake pipe. MOT testers know the difference.
If you'd told us you had brake fluid dripping from under the car we might have been able to help you even more than we have....

If you'd told us you had brake fluid dripping from under the car we might have been able to help you even more than we have....

There wasn't any fluid dripping or leaks. Both failures were instantaneous.

Quite accept there were no leaks or drips before the failure but there must have been signs afterwards. That was the info needed.

Sponsored Links
Back