Comprehensive or Third Party

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car is in immaculate condition despite being nearly 12 years old and has only done 12600 miles from brand new.

For this reason I have insured it fully comprehensive up to now, but am wondering if because of its age I should change to Third Party Fire and Theft.

My last premium was £306.

Any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated!

Sponsored Links
What's a 12 year old car worth? £500? Less? How much extra are you paying for comp?

Even if your car is well-cared for and worth more to you, the insurance co will not pay much to have it repaired - in case of damage they will just give you the write-off value from their book.

Thank you for your prompt reply to my post.

When you say the insurance would only pay me the write-off value, does that mean around the figure of £500 you quote?

My car is only a Rover 214sei

I don't know just yet what the difference in price would be between comprehensive and 3rd party, but I have a letter prepared ready to send to my insurance company asking for a quote for 3rd party.

Sponsored Links
how many years no claims bonus you got? a lot of companies will not protect your bonus if you are only 3rd party f+t, only fully comp.

I have seven years no claims bonus.

Does that mean I would lose that if I changed to 3rd Party fire and Theft?

Wouldn't that mean it would cost me nearly as much for 3rd Party?

I am with Zurich by the way if that's any help, and have been for 12 years or more.

How much is your excess on Comp insurance? Say you are paying £300 to insure it fully comp and the car is worth £500, if your excess is for example £150 you would only get £350 back for it if it got written off in a fault accident (which is likely for even the smallest of bumps would render it beyond economic repair).

If you have TPFT cover and have a fault accident, you obviously get nothing for your car so it depends how much cheaper TPFT is against Comp.

Obviously if you have a non fault accident, you can claim for the market value of your car from the 'at fault driver' (providing he is insured!)

I would suggest you try www.confused.com to try and find the cheapest insurance. They search loads of insurers and will provide you with a range of quotes for Comp and TPFT cover.

pappyon said:
When you say the insurance would only pay me the write-off value, £500
My car is only a Rover 214sei

:cry: less than that, I`m afraid, since rover went under..even newish ones aren`t worth much

Get a quote and see what the difference is, for some reason if I get a quote for 3rd party the quote is more than fully comp, no idea why though.

Why not third party only. It's unlikely to burst into flames, and no-ones going to nick it !!

Sponsored Links
Back