Compression fitting directly onto Yorkshire fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I visited a customer who’s flat was flooded (and two flats beneath) as the copper pipe from a ball valve had completely come away. This ball valve was being used as the isolation for the mains supply of water to the flat (job of a stopcock).

Upon investigation it turns out these flats were constructed 1 year ago, in which time 4 other flats have experienced the same problem.

When I removed the ball valve I noted that it had joining compound over the threads (as seen in the picture)
and the olive was loose in the fitting. I only see two reasons why the fitting had joining compound applied: leak/problems during the install or just as a precaution at the time of install.

This is the first time I have come across a compression fitting being fitted directly to a Yorkshire solder fitting. Is this acceptable and if not why or what regulations state otherwise?

Sponsored Links
Its ok if the olive is far enough onto the fitting this one does'nt look like its been tight enough.

The copper fitting is called a 'street' fitting......maybe things weren't tightened properly in the first place?
Sealing compound over the threads isn't the best technique, either!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Nut not tightened.

Jointing compound should be on the olive, although it can lubricate some cheapo fittings that are hard to do up.

Personally I don't like to see a slip/street fitting installed into a compression fitting. The pipe size diameter is often a little out of tolerance and it is common to see evidence of previous leaks.

A 3 part reducing set or a reducing coupling would be better option IMHO.

As for sealant, a little around the olive and a little on the threads will dramatically reduce friction and enable a more secure joint.

Gasguru";p="2632612 said:
Personally I don't like to see a slip/street fitting installed into a compression fitting. The pipe size diameter is often a little out of tolerance and it is common to see evidence of previous leaks.

Why should it be out of tolerance? They have to be acucrate enough to be soldered, and pass QA (? :mrgreen: ), and, in any case, I would have thought that a compression fitting would be more suitable for a slight mis size than a soldered one. IMO of course.

You do,of course, have to be careful that the ring does not sit on the shoulder.

Anyway, I have always done it this way, and (as far has been reported to me) have never had a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back