Concealed Cistern in an external 2-skin wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a customer who wants a hidden cistern to save space in his smallish bathroom. The toilet is currently on the external (2 skin w/cavity) wall, and there is nowhere else it will fit, so has to stay on this wall.

He doesnt want a small boxing to hide the cistern, even though it would only be ~4inches wide.

Has anybody here taken a section of the internal skin of brick/block to fit a concealed cistern? Obviously it would need to be done properly (a lintel, etc) but im quite concerned with the cold coming through the outer skin and affecting the water in the cistern. Also there maybe issues with bridging the cavity and inviting damp?

My only other option would be a loft fitted cistern but this comes with other problems (the uber powerful flush that would come with a 2.5m head being the main one!) Also there is a full length high level window along the entire room so the pipework would have to snake along the wall, up the internal, and then up to the attic. Nothing beyond me, its just I dont really like the idea of this many corners in pipework that isnt really meant to do that sort of thing, and that will be concealed and tiled over.

Any elaborations on these two, or any other solutions would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back