Concerned about lack of earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new bathroom sink basin and while I was at it I thought it would be a good idea to check the earth connection downstairs.

I checked the connection to the incoming water pipe and there is no clamp, the earth wire is just wrapped around the painted pipe. I have checked the connection in with a multi meter and it showing a lot of resistance.

Am I right in thinking scraping the paint of the pipe and fitting a proper clamp should solve the problem?

I have no idea how long it has been like that.

Sponsored Links
You need to check it is attached to the MET at the other end & the maximum resistance of the cable is 0.05 Ohm or less.

What is the MET?

The installation is from 1980, I can clearly see the wire going into the consumer unit or near by there, will check properly tomorrow where it actually goes.

I want to spend a lot of next week sorting the electrics out.

Just so you know, the water main does not constitute a main earth connection any more. Many believe it does. That cable you found wrapped round the water pipe is a main bond, not your earth connection. It is, however, just as important. There should be one on your gas and oil, if present, too.

Your main earth connection must be derived either from:

the supplier's neutral connection
the supplier's metallic cable sheath, or
an earth rod, of your own provision.

We can advise further with a photo of the consumer unit and mains incoming devices.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I will get a picture of that tomorrow :).

It is a 1980 installation so I would imagine it would meet most the regulations although I know some of the wiring no longe complies with existing regulations.

I would say it has 4mm² PEB to gas & water then. While you're at it, you may want to consider upgrading it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back