Concerns About Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a fairly old gas fire that is rarely used although I do like it on in Winter. I had it serviced 2 weeks ago as it had been quite some time since it was last done and the flames were burning yellow which I know is not a good sign. Anyway the chap came to do the servicing and seemed to do a thorough job but I've noticed that whereas the two end grills are now burning nice and blue the two middle grills are still yellow, why might this be and do I need to be concerned?. FYI I do have a carbon monoxide alarm

Sponsored Links
This is a picture of the fire

Attachments

• 15118498180141539823946.jpg
    15118498180141539823946.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 160
Hi,

We have a fairly old gas fire that is rarely used although I do like it on in Winter. I had it serviced 2 weeks ago as it had been quite some time since it was last done and the flames were burning yellow which I know is not a good sign. Anyway the chap came to do the servicing and seemed to do a thorough job but I've noticed that whereas the two end grills are now burning nice and blue the two middle grills are still yellow, why might this be and do I need to be concerned?. FYI I do have a carbon monoxide alarm

That is not right, Suzanne.
Was it like that when the guy left? Or has it developed since?
Was it like the BEFORE the service?

Is your guy Gas Safe registered for fires? A RGI has to be registered for different work areas.

Hi,

Yes the fire was completely yellow before the service which is why I got it done so it has improved some. The man was a gas safe registered plumber although I didn't know it had to be specific for fires, I just assumed he was as I know he does a lot of fire services. I must admit I was absorbed in my work when he was testing the fore at the end so I didn't really notice how it was burning and this is the first time I've had it on since. It is a very old fire so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or do you think a proper job hasn't been done?. He seemed to be very thorough although I'm not experienced enough to say everything that should be done was done. I clearly remember him cleaning the grills and pulling the fire completely out and doing something with the flue behind.

Sponsored Links
Yes, we must do separate qualifications for each appliance we wish to work on - boilers, cookers, fires, tumble dryers etc etc

Your service engineer has been very brave/foolhardy to leave that fire turned on. I wouldn't use it

Give him the benefit of Doubt.
Call him up and send him the photo.
You currently have no way of knowing it was like that when he left.
If he’s a legit and conscientious tradesmen he will tell you not to use it until he has a chance to come back and sort it.

Yes call him back it's not right. may just be a bit of rogue fluff or a spider has taken up residence in the injector port;)
As said it should not be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back