Concrete base - does this look right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My back went so I decided to get a local firm to lay the concrete slab for two sheds I am putting up at the end of the garden (one posh, one not). The total size is 5m x 5.5x.

I was away when they were preparing it last week but have just checked and am not sure about a few things. It seems they have dug down to get it level which means the neighbours garden at the rear (the fence line) is higher. Will the soil from this just fall down onto the concrete over time? What needs to be done, concrete retaining panels?

Also, it seems they have just laid the DPM on top of soil, is this OK? Any thoughts most gratefully received. At the end of the day this is only for a fancy wooden shed/garden room so it doesn't have to be perfect but I equally don't want to pour (a lot) of money down the drain.

IMG_3836.JPG IMG_3835.JPG

Sponsored Links
You appear to have de-stabilised the fencing and ground stability on three sides. Some kind of retaining arrangements will have to be made at the boundaries.

Your finished floor level will be well below common ground level and hence, subject to water penetration - if not flooding.

If the structure was to be built to such a footprint then gaining future access to the sides and rear might be awkward.

The best practice method of pouring a slab is for the soil to be well tamped down and then compacted hardcore to be laid, a sand blinding, a membrane and then the concrete. You dont poke pegs thro the membrane.

Is BCO involved? Are all three neighbours agreeable to your shed?

Someone more versed in current planning/Blg Regs than me might like to give a view on this footprint?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back