Concrete Base for 10x8 Shed Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, Im about to start the concrete base for my 10x8ft Shed

I am making the Concrete area 11x9ft

I have a few questions.....

1- Will i need to include a Meshed cage? or can i get away with it with the area i am working with.

2- Is it a good idea to put down plastic sheeting underneath before the concrete is poured. I have got hold of some blue plastic sheeting that can be used for this. so thought i should put it down top prevent damp rising.

3- Am i ok in using Wooden scaffold boards for the shuttering?

4- last one sorry... i want to create a chamfered edge on the top of the base, at work i have seen it done by using some sort of triangled shaped wood/plastic, if so whats the best thing to use ?

All help appreciated

p.s Im thinking of getting a ready mix delivered to save on the hassle of mixing,hiring machinery etc.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered heavy slabs as a base. As good as you need mate if ground is half decent for a shed. If it`s grass you could take the turf off and put blue membrane down then whin dust and cement dry mixed . This would let you elevate it if you wish.

If you are determined to do the concrete. blue membrane first ........steel mesh if you wish. Sit it on stones to keep it 30mm off the ground....overkill maybe but about 30quid.

2"x"2 ran through saw diagonaly will give you the fillet you need for a tapered arris. Nail it on at the top of the scaff board. nice bit of tapping round boards with hammer will give a better finish to edges. Leave boards on 48hrs . If your slab is deep remember the weight that wiil push on boards . Put plenty pegs in to support on outside driven into ground.
You can`t fail now :LOL:

Corrie

ok, Im about to start the concrete base for my 10x8ft Shed

I am making the Concrete area 11x9ft

I have a few questions.....

1- Will i need to include a Meshed cage? or can i get away with it with the area i am working with.

2- Is it a good idea to put down plastic sheeting underneath before the concrete is poured. I have got hold of some blue plastic sheeting that can be used for this. so thought i should put it down top prevent damp rising.

3- Am i ok in using Wooden scaffold boards for the shuttering?

4- last one sorry... i want to create a chamfered edge on the top of the base, at work i have seen it done by using some sort of triangled shaped wood/plastic, if so whats the best thing to use ?

All help appreciated

p.s Im thinking of getting a ready mix delivered to save on the hassle of mixing,hiring machinery etc.
1-no. 2-if you`ve got some then use it ;) 3 yes--- 4 bit of wood wrapped in plastic (offcut of your dpc) :idea:

cheers guys, hoping to get the shuttering started perhaps this weekend and aim to get concrete as soon as the weather looks to be ok :( which doest look like any time this weekend :(

Sponsored Links
It’s only a shed, why go to all that trouble & expense; all you need is some heavy duty slabs set in compacted sand. I’ve also used 6ft fence gravel boards before (handy as they have steel reinforcing in them) but, again, just set in compacted sand.

I cover the underside of the base of any new shed I put up with roofing felt to keep out the damp; one I did over 22 years ago is still going strong! My latest, put up, is 16ft x 8ft with a further 10ft x 8ft barn type side extension for mowers, barrows etc, (no floor). All laid on heavy duty slabs 4 years ago; no problems!

ok the base is now complete, it was poured over 48hrsgo, ive jsut taken off the hsuttering, which came off ok, now ive also taken off the water proof sheet that was covering it from the rain

is it ok to leave it off now even though typically its jsut started to rain.
The concrete is hard and can be walked on,will it be ok in the rain basically ?and is it wise to leave it like this and let it breathe

the rain will have absolutely no detrimental effect whatsoever.

in fact, concrete loves water!

ahh brilliant mate, jsut what i wanted to hear.

i never used mesh in the concrete i jsut hope it doesnt crack so soon :( but been 7 inches deep it should be ok shouldnt it

its a shed base it wont crack!

as noseall said concrete loves water, actually increases the strength of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back