Concrete Block (Laying)

YE HAH. SADDLE UP BOYS.

That's crap about "it won't matter because it's rendered". It will crack so much easier when it moves either under load or seasonally.

And mixing different materials massively increases cracking due to thermal movement.

The builder will have rode off into the sunset by then.

Get the sheriff out.

Do you recommend me asking them to start again

Sponsored Links
Do you think they will get right next time?

They will have the opportunity to put it right

But I don’t want to do this if they will be no affect to the structure at a later stage

I would rather they do it again now that having to pay to do the job twice at a later date.

That's quarter bond and in places it looks even less. It should be half bond - ie the joint should be in the middle of the block below and above.

It won't be to any recognised standard, and it will be a big risk to you in the future.

I would not accept it.

But it depends if you are paying top money or even average money or paying bargain basement rates. Because that's a factor.

If it's dead cheap, then it's cheap for a reason and there is your reason. Otherwise you should expect it to be built to a good standard.

You can require it to be done properly.
You can demand a cash rebate to reflect it's poor quality and your future risk.
Or you can leave it and chance it.

It's a difficult decision because it will affect your relationship and the ongoing work. The builder may just walk for instance.

But, it's quite easy to get it altered now at relatively little time and expense to the builder.

The thing is, the builder has acknowledged that it's not right, so that's a start.

I'd bite the bullet now and have it rectified.

Sponsored Links
That's quarter bond and in places it looks even less. It should be half bond - ie the joint should be in the middle of the block below and above.

It won't be to any recognised standard, and it will be a big risk to you in the future.

I would not accept it.

But it depends if you are paying top money or even average money or paying bargain basement rates. Because that's a factor.

If it's dead cheap, then it's cheap for a reason and there is your reason. Otherwise you should expect it to be built to a good standard.

You can require it to be done properly.
You can demand a cash rebate to reflect it's poor quality and your future risk.
Or you can leave it and chance it.

It's a difficult decision because it will affect your relationship and the ongoing work. The builder may just walk for instance.

But, it's quite easy to get it altered now at relatively little time and expense to the builder.

The thing is, the builder has acknowledged that it's not right, so that's a start.

I'd bite the bullet now and have it rectified.

Thank you, you have made some very good points.
His normal brickie was not available and as I requested to get it finished and it seems he has got this guy in and I’m not entirely happy with it as it doesn’t look right to me.

They have said it will get rendered and it will strengthen it and it will be fine.

If I have any problems in the future, I doubt they will be around as they are new kids on the block and nearing retirement.

I’m not one to take 1 words on something if something doesn’t seem right.

If indeed the rendering will make it stronger and not cause me any problems in the future I am happy with it.

They have said it will get rendered and it will strengthen it and it will be fine.

If indeed the rendering will make it stronger and not cause me any problems in the future I am happy with it.

The render will cover it rather than give it a lot more strength.
It's up to you whether you accept really, as it depends on the money involved. If you are getting good money to let them practice blocklaying in your garden then I would leave it up.

The render will cover it rather than give it a lot more strength.
It's up to you whether you accept really, as it depends on the money involved. If you are getting good money to let them practice blocklaying in your garden then I would leave it up.

I am paying them to practice blocklaykng in my garden, someone earlier said it won’t affect the structure so I am bit confused

I’m inclined to ask them to start again but been advised locally by a bricklayer that it should be ok and not to worry too much

Difficult one now!

Blocks are laid half bond to spread the load evenly. There's normally 2 different courses, not a different one every course. It's quite simple to set out the bond and make the next course work half bond. There is a reason why they are not laid with almost straight joints.

Blocks are laid half bond to spread the load evenly. There's normally 2 different courses, not a different one every course. It's quite simple to set out the bond and make the next course work half bond. There is a reason why they are not laid with almost straight joints.

Fair point, think I will have to tell them in the morning

Blocks are laid half bond to spread the load evenly.
I don't agree with you there. They have basically done a 1/3 running bond in block, you can do a stack bond quite happily but you need bed reinforcement, not due to the load, but due to the vertical strength.

If this is a habitual room I would think about getting them to take it down and start again, if it's just an outbuilding like you said I would not worry about it if you got it at a cheap enough price.

No your right looked at it again and it's 1/4 bond and that's not really good enough.

It'll be 100 mm bond to eliminate a whole load of cuts on 2 opposite corners - its lazy, but its not going to fall down if the mortar is reasonably strong.

Overall the 25 - 30 mm mortar joint on the top inside row plus random bond and mismatching blocks says quick, lax and not caring about the job to me.

If the price is right it'll serve as a decent garage.

Once the mortar is over a week old it'll be less easy to strip down and rebuild without block damage.

At the moment its £600 plus materials down the pan, if left it could be your cost plus a skip.

Set the standard for everything in writing if you haven't already done so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back