Concrete mix query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 bags of ballast and half a bag of concrete, out of interest what strength would this achieve?

Sponsored Links
After how many days? - it gets stronger every day it sets.

Normally a 6 to 1 or a 5 to 1 ratio (not the 8 to 1 that you are suggesting that is a very weak ratio), gives between 2500 and 4000 psi for normal concrete according to this link (noting they have a typo saying 25000 rather than 2500).
https://www.aboutcivil.org/compressive-strength-of-concrete.html

Why do you need to know? Building a bridge? Hopefully not with that 8:1 mix.
Sfk

Last edited:
4 bags of ballast and half a bag of concrete,
Half a bag of 'concrete'? You mean you are diluting concrete with ballast?

The correct (standard) mix is four parts ballast - two parts sharp (screed, grit) sand - one cement. And water of course.

Sponsored Links
Half a bag of 'concrete'? You mean you are diluting concrete with ballast?/QUOTE]

Yep that's correct the 25kg ballast bags I'm referring to mixed with half a bag of concrete

Wanted to know what strength will that achieve? i.e c20 c25 etc

Is this mixed in a barrow, with the garden hose or controlled batching with known water content, measured slump value, and vibrated?

Its half a bag of Quinn 25kg cement mixed with the 4 bags of ballast, water added into a mixer
Gotcha. It will provide you with a weaker than standard 6:1 mix but not by much. Why the scientific measuring for the strength of concrete? Are you building a dam?

Concrete is not cement by the way.

If its any help that's a similar ratio my builder used for a mass concrete pad foundation

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back