condensate pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
forgive my ignorance i know how they work etc but aint fit one yet, just a few Q's

how are they wired into the boiler?

is it direct 240 mains into the unit from the boilers supply or fuse spur

where is the best place to dump the condensate waste and how far can they pump ie vertical/horizontal?

Sponsored Links
Yes. They take 230v direct but most also have the option to wire an alarm and cut out in to stop the boiler if they fault and do not pump.

Watch out for saniflos cr*p one. They will not pump horizontaly as does the more expensive Grundfos. I used to fit the Grundfos, very good pump.

With the Grundfos for every 1M high you lose 10M horizontal distance.

I obviously fit Vaillants own make so this plugs direct onto the pcb to handle the alarm and cut out. 230v is taken form the main L & N & E terminals on the pcb. Makes a neater job to look at.

Most come with about 6m of flexible drain pipe.

You would wire a permanent 240v to them.

50m horizontally
4.5 meters vertically.

cheers g4u ive got a few potential jobs ie vertical flues with combi in the middle of the house and my concern is getting the condensate away and to an outside drain ;)

which is the preferred method soil stack in the loft or pump up then down a pipe boxing to outside

Sponsored Links
Given that the only place to empty condensate into that is not allowed is a sceptic tank apparently, go for what ever is easiest for you.

They are even sayin now that condensate into a cast iron stack could be ok as it is constantly diluted by the other waste water. I remain undecided about this and would not do it.

Given that the only place to empty condensate into that is not allowed is a sceptic tank apparently, go for what ever is easiest for you.

Also thought that you could not dump it into a rainwater system going to a soakaway.

I've always been told it is ok again as it is so diluted. I've even had inspection that has been ok'd with a rainwater one! Sceptic tank is a no no as it kills off the bacteria the decomposes/eats away at the sh*te.

rob884 said:
You would wire a permanent 240v to them.

50m horizontally
4.5 meters vertically.

im totally astounded by that 50 m :eek: deffo be fitting some of these soon..............

vertical flues getting on roofs :cry: :cry: :cry: ah well think of the money

I've also fitted 2 grundfos ones where the pump is at floor level, overflow pipe comes off it and straight down under the floor, through 2 other rooms into kitchen and back up into sink waste. Pain in the arse lifting boards just for this but works a treat. Both high blocks of converted flats in same block with no other access to waste or outside.

gas4you said:
I've also fitted 2 grundfos ones where the pump is at floor level, overflow pipe comes off it and straight down under the floor, through 2 other rooms into kitchen and back up into sink waste. Pain in the a**e lifting boards just for this but works a treat. Both high blocks of converted flats in same block with no other access to waste or outside.

im very wary of putting glued wastes under floor boards like :eek:

So am I but I had no choice, just made sure it was all well clipped and supported ;)

We've had two Grundfos Conlift failures over the last 18 months.......

Yes. They take 230v direct but most also have the option to wire an alarm and cut out in to stop the boiler if they fault and do not pump.

Watch out for saniflos cr*p one. They will not pump horizontaly as does the more expensive Grundfos. I used to fit the Grundfos, very good pump.

With the Grundfos for every 1M high you lose 10M horizontal distance.

I obviously fit Vaillants own make so this plugs direct onto the pcb to handle the alarm and cut out. 230v is taken form the main L & N & E terminals on the pcb. Makes a neater job to look at.

Most come with about 6m of flexible drain pipe.
Where exactly do I wire the alarm wires to? Mine is a Saniflos Condens Plus? Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back