Condensing Boiler Heat Exchanger Calcium (build up)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having removed burner and electrode from Keston 170, was amazed by the amount of calcium build up inside the heat excanger, the top coil was completely encrusted with the stuff and a large build up in the base of the centre chamber. Is this normal or indicative of condensate drain problems or incorrect burner setings ( the burner looks fine) Heat exchanger only about 4 years old.

Sponsored Links
Thats' why the boiler should be serviced every year, except the Kestons heat exchanger can't be cleaned properly due to it's design.

I guess you are not registered...how are you going to check the gas/air connections, gasket sealing and carry out flue gas analysis?

These boilers are junk and suffer from many problems.

Just read up on what a hydroflow is but can't see how that would help as the buildup is due to the water in the combustion gases. Anyway spent the afternoon gently descaling the large lumps, there must be some type of solution that can be used to break down the remaining deposits. Any suggestions ? A mate of mine is actually on the job, he is CORGI, but his first encounter with a Keston. I'd rather get the HE really cleaned up before he comes back to bolt it up and test it with his box of tricks.

Sponsored Links
A canister of compressed air and a hoover will clean alot of it out and a kettle of boiling water would be good to pour down the flue afterwards.

Kestons are very poor boilers though, if you can afford to it would be wise to save up for a replacement.

I think I get the message, KESTONS are RUBBISH, but unfortunately in the current economic climate a replacement is not an option, I'll have to nurse this one for a couple of years. Saying that the ridiculous cost of their spares (£7 for a burner gasket) will make any major repair prohibitive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back