Condensing Boilers at this time of year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These boilers have proven to be a complete shambles during this big freeze. Despite being lagged they are still freezing up and not operating. Ive fitted a ridiculous amount of parts to numerous boilers past 2weeks with no cut-off on them. Potterton Promax springs to mind (Gas Valve, Fan , PCB covered in water) Guys whats ur thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Have had to sort a few frozen condensate pipes, even my brother's (not fitted by me). Seems that some condensate pipes have been fitted with the last few mild winters in mind.

Most problems caused by unlagged external 21mm plastic waste pipe.

Was talking about this to another RGI today. It is there downside that is for sure.

I always follow MI and step up to 32mm outside for the condense yet still I've had 2 freeze on me this week. This weather we have having at the moment is quite extreme though, but is this what are winters are going to be like in the future? If it is I imagine manufactures will start insisting the condense is run internally.

I think that eventually the manufactures will come up with boilers that meet the efficiency rating but don't condense.

I did read about a boiler that emitted the condense periodically in a fine mist out of the flue but I can't for the life of me think which one it was. Whichever one it was I've never heard about them being available to the UK Dom. market.

Ted

I did 5 today all in the sticks. Each and every one in oversized pipe but freezing in the elbow. All Worcesters.

Sponsored Links
Dont think it'll be long before they invent a condenser like the condensing tumble driers where you have to take a bottle out and manually empty it, a pain to the end user but saves loads of hassle for the fitter ;)

I had 4 frozen ones today. The worst one was frozen 2 METERS into the loft!! Also had 2 40mm ones that had froze. It is fighting a losing battle as i know they will just freeze again and i heardthis cold snap is to last until end of Feb.

had two today i removed the pipe got flowing into a bucket till big freeze is over then said i will rebuild when when thaws out a bit

Fitted around 250 condemsing boilers and if fault customer would definetly phone me back as opposed to anyone else and only had 1 condensate freeze and that was last year. By sounds of it quite lucky

Biggbo you sure boiler filled with condensate and was not connected into a rain water pipe that had frozen at the bottom and water coming down had no where to go but into the boiler. As boiler should lock off if condensate not getting away

What I cant understand also that most modern boilers have in built frost stats set at about +5 degrees. If these kick in,the warm water should help in keeping frost off

The boilers themselves are fine but the condensate system has problems, de frosted four yestrday, two were poorly fitted and the 21mm overflow pipe ran uphill in the wall and froze up, replaced with inch and a quater flowing in the right direction but a couple were inch and a quater, less than 1.5 metres in length with a 45 degree fall.... I too think that new regs will be introduced which will say all condensate must be run internally to a regularly used waste... even if it has to be pumped

What you need to look out for is the underside of Vaillant boilers if located in an unheated garage!

The inside of the boiler may be protected by the internal frost stat and the connecting pipework is lagged but above that pretty open grille on the underside is a tangle of bare copper and valves.

I've just taped a layer of polystyrene foam to the underside of my 937 :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back