Condensing boilers - is trap cleaning part of service ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At home we've an Ideal system boiler that's about 9 years old - fitted by BG and serviced by them since. So far it's averaged about a breakdown every 2 years.

Back at Easter (ie the start of a long weekend holiday) it packed in again - on the Thursday evening. BG chap turned up and eventually diagnosed a failed main gas valve. Part was ordered, but of course not available until after holiday weekend. Different chap came and installed gas valve on Tuesday. Then on Wed morning the house was cold again, and boiler not running. Yet another chap came and found the combustion chamber flooded because the trap was ... virtually blocked by debris from when the heat exchanger corroded away a few years ago.
Apparently, according to dad, it was hard stuff to dig out.

I'm thinking the trap should be cleaned out (or at least checked) regularly - it's prescribed in the MI for the combi in my rental house. I'd have thought it was particularly important when replacing a heat exchanger that's corroded and drops loads of alli and alli-oxide inside. Makes me wonder about the quality of the servicing, and whether a complaint is warranted.

It might also explain the breakdown we had late Christmas Eve (yes, it normally breaks down at the start of holidays !) It had cleared by morning, and we put it down to a build up of ice round the flue intake (it was visible from ground level with a torch). In hindsight it could have just been a build up of condensate that was leaking out via the trap slower than it was being made - it being 'a tad parky' at the time.

Just for good measure, the boiler was tripped out again this morning. On resetting, the ignition sounded like an angry wasp in a jam jar - making a loud BZZT BZZT BZZT noise. It sounded like the flame lit just at the end of the third attempt, I could make out a distinct "woomph" just before the ignition timed out. Be interesting to see if it's been a temporary issue and sorted itself, or if the blue van will be outside yet again.

Sponsored Links
You've answered your own question about the trap, and a breakdown average of once every two years.........lucky you.

Just for good measure, the boiler was tripped out again this morning. On resetting, the ignition sounded like an angry wasp in a jam jar - making a loud BZZT BZZT BZZT noise. It sounded like the flame lit just at the end of the third attempt, I could make out a distinct "woomph" just before the ignition timed out. Be interesting to see if it's been a temporary issue and sorted itself, or if the blue van will be outside yet again.

It's usually because the back of the burner box has melted and then melts the wires to the fan which short together...shouldn't be with a new heat engine.....but often is!

fella,just keep up your insurance payments.
not many insurance firms will take on unreliable boilers.

Sponsored Links
You've answered your own question about the trap
I know, looking for confirmation. I've been suggesting to dad that he should be complaining to BG about the poor servicing - but he seems to have mellowed with age, they'd have heard from him in the past !
, and a breakdown average of once every two years.........lucky you.
That says it all really, that the expectation os for the things to break down that regularly.
It's usually because the back of the burner box has melted and then melts the wires to the fan which short together...shouldn't be with a new heat engine.....but often is!
Well another guy was here today. Spent "some time" trying to figure it out, according to dad. He's ordered a new PCB and new HT wires etc for fitment tomorrow.

ideal boiler are pain to work on they are ****e
cleaning condesate would not of stoped these problems

well,i hope it works tomorrow.
are these boilers rare in your area so no need for repair agent to carry basic parts.
anyway good luck.

are these boilers rare in your area so no need for repair agent to carry basic parts.
I assume not, but it's BG and I assume they deal with every make known to man (and probably a few more that aren't known !). If you think about it, every guy could carry a van load of spares and still not have the right one - while still costing a fortune. So it'll be cheaper and much easier logistics wise to have a good logistics to get parts to them quickly.

I generally don't see them as I'm out at work, but the the last time I did I'm fairly certain he did have some model specific spares with him on the first visit. My guess is they've either got the most common spares in the van, or they get sent to them in advance - ie customer calls, if visit is booked for next day, ship out some likely spares.
I do know he spent an awful long time with the electronic manuals on the computer.

Oh for the simple days of a timer, a solenoid valve, and a pilot light :rolleyes: - though I'll allow one concession to modernity, a flame failure thermocouple on the gas valve.

I assume not, but it's BG and I assume they deal with every make known to man (and probably a few more that aren't known !). If you think about it, every guy could carry a van load of spares and still not have the right one - while still costing a fortune. So it'll be cheaper and much easier logistics wise to have a good logistics to get parts to them quickly.

I generally don't see them as I'm out at work, but the the last time I did I'm fairly certain he did have some model specific spares with him on the first visit. My guess is they've either got the most common spares in the van, or they get sent to them in advance - ie customer calls, if visit is booked for next day, ship out some likely spares.
I do know he spent an awful long time with the electronic manuals on the computer.

Oh for the simple days of a timer, a solenoid valve, and a pilot light :rolleyes: - though I'll allow one concession to modernity, a flame failure thermocouple on the gas valve.

with you on that one ;)

At home we've an Ideal system boiler that's about 9 years old - fitted by BG and serviced by them since.
Are you sure it has been serviced annually?
Most people that have a BG contract THINK they get an annual service, but in reality they DON'T get a service, but an annual SAFETY CHECK.

They compare like a car service and a MOT.

Are you sure it has been serviced annually?
Most people that have a BG contract THINK they get an annual service, but in reality they DON'T get a service, but an annual SAFETY CHECK.
That's a good point, and I can't answer since I don't pay the bills. But I'm fairly sure it's SOLD as a SERVICE.

Yup, looking on BG's website, I'm fairly certain we'll have HomeCare<something> and even on HomeCare 100 it says "Annual Service of your boiler with a safety and energy efficiency check".

Yup, looking on BG's website, I'm fairly certain we'll have HomeCare<something> and even on HomeCare 100 it says "Annual Service of your boiler with a safety and energy efficiency check".
For many boilers, sticking a probe in the flue ( plus a couple other quick checks ) may legally be counted as a service if the reading falls within an accepted range.

That may officially qualify as a service, but I doubt very much that you would be happy to pay me £65 for sticking a probe in the flue.
I know I would feel ripped off.

What you'll find is the sump gets cleaned but the trap simply washed through. The manufacturers engineers told me they never remove the trap but just pour water through the main heat exchanger to check if the trap is not blocked.

Evidently I have been wasting my time cleaning the traps whenever I do a service or repair!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back