Condescending behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have something on my mind and I can’t shake it off.

Today I went with my son to look at some vinyl flooring. We parked in a private car park nearby.There were signs notices up that only customers to the business may park there etc, We were in the wrong and shouldn’t have parked there, but we risked it as we were only going to be a short while, We returned to the car after 10 minutes and there was a sticker on the car warning next time will be fined etc. then this guy comes charging after us ‘Is this your car?’it’s private car park ‘ My son apologised and said he wouldn’t park there again. That should have been the end, but the man just wouldn’t let it go and he was right in my son’s face ‘You knew you shouldn’t park there, got notices up, it clearly says no parking’ in the end to get rid of him my son said ‘Yes I did know’ to which the guy said ‘right’ and finally marched off.

Have any of you experienced patronising behaviour and how did you deal with it?

Sponsored Links
My son apologised and said he wouldn’t park there again.

Never show weakness, that's what encouraged your 'attacker' to double down and attack you further, you gave him the upper hand.
Yes, you were in the wrong, you did the right thing and apologised, he should have graciously accepted that and you all move on. He was overly aggressive.

Mixed messages!

First you say never show weakness, then you say they did the right thing and that he was overly aggressive.

Sponsored Links
not sure really, i thought patronizing was insincere back handed agreeing with you in a condescending manner
now not in the least disagreeing with you as i am a simple soul who likes to help ----- but to be arrogant hitler type came to mind [sorry about any offence caused ]

Never show weakness, that's what encouraged your 'attacker' to double down and attack you further, you gave him the upper hand.
Yes, you were in the wrong, you did the right thing and apologised, he should have graciously accepted that and you all move on. He was overly aggressive.
And probably lost business because his customers couldn't park. Land on which he pays for.

Don't park where you shouldn't. No sympathy

Thank you everyone . I agree we shouldn’t have parked there and I am not justifying it. It seemed like the right thing to apologise and move on. I am bothered about the level of his aggression. The car park was empty apart from another car when we arrived and it was completely empty when we returned. I just froze as I was not expecting this level of rage and it bothers me that I didn’t know how to respond.

I own a few acres of woodland. There is a gated vehicle access off a narrow country lane with an approx 50ft strip of hard standing. The gate is 'substantial' & there are 2x signs saying "Private. Keep Out".

They park there cars in front of my gate, they then enter my woodland to steal my wood, my mushrooms, my bluebells, light fires, scatter litter etc etc etc.

What entitles them to do this?

Am I being "patronising" when I confront them?

Am I a "bully" when I park behind their cars & block them in for a few hours?

Why are my dogs & my gun considered "threatening" when I'm on my own land?

Why do they still come back?

What entitles them to do this?

I have to confess, that the other week, my g/f and I went to pub at 7PM and the car park was full, so we parked on the garage forecourt next door, a company that we are frequent customers of, when we came out we had been blocked in. took us 30 mins and about 100 point turn, to get out. We accepted our punishment and thought it was a bit funny. No doubt they had a good laugh at us when they reviewed the cctv, in the morning.

As a pedant comment: only a court can fine you. Fines in contracts are unenforceable.

I have to confess, that the other week, my g/f and I went to pub at 7PM and the car park was full, so we parked on the garage forecourt next door, a company that we are frequent customers of, when we came out we had been blocked in. took us 30 mins and about 100 point turn, to get out. We accepted our punishment and thought it was a bit funny. No doubt they had a good laugh at us when they reviewed the cctv, in the morning.

As a pedant comment: only a court can fine you. Fines in contracts are unenforceable.
That’s the thing, we also are customers of said aggressive employee company. In fact we only recently went down to order products and are awaiting delivery from them. I am glad you managed to get out safely and you must have great driving skills. I guess we are lucky they didn’t block us in.

Sponsored Links
Back