CP PLUS Parking Charge Notice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks back me and a colleague met at a motorway services where we had breakfast. I then left my car there and we continued our journey in his vehicle. We returned around 10 hours later had dinner at the services, I filled up with very expensive fuel and departed for home.
Now this morning I get a CP PLUS Parking Charge Notice for £50 if paid within 28 days of notice dated 30.03.2010 (how has it taken 11 days to reach me?) with an additional £40 if not.
After a bit of research I now realise there was probably a sign saying "Free parking for 2 hours" (I did not notice this).
Do you guys think this is fair considering I spent approx £70 at the services.
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd say it was fair as it's designed to stop people using it as a free Park and Ride.
What would you have done with your car if you had seen the sign?

how has it taken 11 days to reach me?

They will have had to wait for DVLA sending your registered details back to them to send the bill onto you.

Have a read of this link, and don't pay them even though youwere in the wrong.

Parking on private property.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consumer/savingideas/article.html?in_article_id=425551&in_page_id=512
The section titled 'Tickets Issued by Private Companies' makes for interesting reading:
"If you receive a ticket in a private car park, such as a supermarket car park, or private multi-story car park, remember that it is not criminal law, but contract law that applies."
"This means that it is only the driver that can be subject to a ticket from a private company. If they do not know who the driver was, they cannot claim a penalty. They have no legal right to demand that you identify the driver. "

And, ofcourse, you were not driving :cool: but do not tell them about the petrol or they may check the credit card account. But you could have bee a passenger and someone else was driving, but be careful of the CCTV.

Sponsored Links
exactly.. you could park a fleet of cars there and then go into the city on a coach for a football match say, and then they can't have as many people in the services using the facilities..

exactly.. you could park a fleet of cars there and then go into the city on a coach for a football match say, and then they can't have as many people in the services using the facilities..
You ever seen a services with a full car park? They have vast expanses of tarmac, they aint gonna run out of spaces in a hurry ;)

tell them you can't remember who was driving car on the day in question, request they check cctv to aid in identifying driver to get fine paid. Tell them its a work pool car/used by all family members, be helpful and obliging in an unhelpful unobliging manner. Its a civil matter not a crimminal offence as street parking/lines etc.

Thanks guys. Still thinking about what to do. Done a bit of searching and the general consensus seems to be to ignore it.
Bit peeved off really considering most traffic through these places use the toilet for free and then leave. While I spent around £70 to gain myself a £50-£90 pound fine. :evil:

It is not criminal law and you dont have to pay it. The ticket is not actually a ticket, but an invoice. It is totally unenforcable.

If you think you have been treated unfairly and the invoice is excessive, send them a letter stating that. You will probably receive a letter from a debt collection service threatening court action. Its up to weather you reply to them or not

The cost's will escalate if u do not pay , & U will more than likely end up paying eventually !! some parking fine's have been known to escalate into hundred's of pound's !!!

The same thing happened to a friend recently. It was in the Lidl car park in Dalkeith. They sent the guff out, I think it was £60 increasing to £90 if not paid within a certain period.
You don't need to say who was driving that day, you don't need to mention that at all.
They were sent a letter telling them to stop harassing over this matter
There are forums covering this type of thing and they'll give you a template of the letter to write, that's what we did.

I can't see you getting out of this one especially as you were there all day.

Regardless of how much you spent you would be better to cough up now rather than run up a big fine!

Sorry. :(

Sponsored Links
Back