Parking Regulatory Body

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Received a notice to owner today for a parking ticket I never had! Does anyone know the regulatory body in charge of this?

Remember the day stopped on a quiet side road half-empty resident's bay and a parking warden came up while I was by the car and said he'd have to issue me a ticket. I said I was just leaving, but he said he still had to issue the ticket...plonker! So I drove away, knowing that to legally issue a ticket he had to stick it on my vehicle or hand it to me, neither of which he did.

I will write back and take it all the way if I have to, but want the parking warden who issued said phantom ticket investigated so that it doesn't happen to others. What a waste of time and money!

Have paid for tickets when rightly issued in the past and have successfully opposed tickets, one which took over a year to resolve!

Seems more about money-making than improving our roads and often the wardens apply little common sense, some using underhand tactics.

Rant over :evil:

Sponsored Links
Don't know the regulatory body, sorry. BUT if you ring or pop into your local police station and ask for some advice - don't tell them you've got a ticket just ask them what the law is on it - ie does the warden have to put the ticket on your car or give it to you.

I don't think they have to do either, don't know why, it's just one of those thoughts from the back of my brain somewhere!

Sorry to hear about your ticket :confused:

I am in Scotland, and perhaps the law is different, but I know that if a Traffic Warden has started to issue a ticket, it cannot be cancelled, so this probably means that you don't have to 'physically' receive it at the time in question :eek:

Thanks Brightness...very funny joke, by the way! :D
It is the law that they have to serve the ticket to you properly, even to the extent that if they're not wearing their uniform properly, eg., not wearing their hat, the ticket has not been properly issued! Ludicrous, but they started it!

Sponsored Links
Got a letter from parking authority other day with a one line response, saying that due to an error by the parking attendant the ticket has been canceled. :D

Thanks to all you guys who gave me some help :D

If anyone ever has a decent call to oppose a ticket, fight it...burden of proof is ultimately on them.

Now....gonna take this further and see that this dodgy parking attendant is stopped from doing it to others :evil:

It is a fact, easily demonstrated by paying attention to any likely stretches of urban roads over the period of a few years, that local councils are complete scum, and behave with disgusting hypocrisy, when it comes to parking regulations and enforcement.

Do they not know what "conflict of interest" means?

How can a public body be allowed to simultaneously make money from penalising "illegal" parking and from providing parking?

One or the other, please, but not both.

Well said BAS.

If they actually carried out both aspects in a fair manner it wouldn't be such an issue, but they invariably don't and there is little redress when they do transgress, whereas the rules for the motorist...... :rolleyes: ...... :evil:

Unfortunately, a lot of people are scared when they receive a ticket or can't be bothered to fight it, but sometimes people need to stand up to extortionate practices. I pay tickets when I'm bang to rights, but sometimes they lie and cheat and defame your character and want you to pay for the privilege. That's not right!

What riles me is something that goes beyond "fairness", to something that cannot be carried out fairly.

I could take you on a tour of dozens of locations in my immediate area where there used to be yellow lines, and where now there is pay and display parking. Traffic hasn't got less. They haven't closed the shops or widened the roads.

So how come when they weren't making money out of P&D it wasn't OK to park on that stretch of road, but it suddenly becomes OK when they do start charging?

If the previous restrictions were justified because of danger, congestion or nuisance, then they should not be allowed to implement P&D. If they weren't justified then they should not have been giving people penalty tickets.

I'd be very surprised if my local experience is not echoed in thousands of places up and down the country.

Well what would happen in this scenario?

You park illegally. You get issued a ticket. Some kid comes along and removes the envelope from under your wiper. You come back and drive off. You get issued a fine through the post. You claim it wasn't served correctly.

The bottom line is that no-one would ever pay for a ticket. They'd just rip it up and claim it was never issued.

joe

Agreed, BAS.

In some parts of London where the residents and shopkeepers are very vocal and make sure their voice is heard they have parking restrictions for one hour a day on the side roads at staggered periods. This restricts commuters who come from outside the area and park the whole day and also it requires fewer parking wardens to deal with the basic problems.

This differs from another similar part of London where the locals are not so proactive where parking restrictions apply from 8am - 10pm every day of the week...there are so many parking atttendants in this area and they have to be paid somehow....this encourages fraudulent issuing. I've seen wardens roaming around side streets at 9.45 on a Sunday evening looking to ticket......this flies in the face of common sense. Most councils are labouring red-tape machines that have no concept of their true purpose...to serve the community....and end up doing exactly the opposite of what they are meant to do.

ban-all-sheds said:
So how come when they weren't making money out of P&D it wasn't OK to park on that stretch of road, but it suddenly becomes OK when they do start charging?

If the previous restrictions were justified because of danger, congestion or nuisance, then they should not be allowed to implement P&D. If they weren't justified then they should not have been giving people penalty tickets.

I'd be very surprised if my local experience is not echoed in thousands of places up and down the country.

I have noticed that some areas are now changing streets to one way, purely to increase the available P&D spaces. :eek:

noodlz wrote,
Received a notice to owner today for a parking ticket I never had! Does anyone know the regulatory body in charge of this?

Remember the day stopped on a quiet side road half-empty resident's bay and a parking warden came up while I was by the car and said he'd have to issue me a ticket. I said I was just leaving, but he said he still had to issue the ticket...plonker!
Why is the parking attendant a plonker? you said (at least I think you did)you were parked in a residents bay.

I agree this behaviour is more widespread and is no doubt also backdoor taxation, but the guy was only doing his/her job. They don't make the rules!

i just park anywhere (literally). if there is some grass area or somewhere off road, i try to get there. have done a few jobs at houses where there is a parking permit req'd (opposite hospital). now, since im doing work at a house there, i dont see why i should have to either park 200M down the road, or pay to use the hospital carpark. forunatly, during those 2 days there was no traffic wardens came. they wouldnt dare give me a ticket anyway, i have every right to have parked there, my car is parked legally aswell (we did have permission from tennant)

outside college on the main road there are some spaces. all were taken. they had a stupid island thing at the side of the road just wasting a space. served no purpose. fortunatly, it didnt have a post thing there so i just parked on that... why it is there, i have no idea 9its about a car length away from a junction into college and there was a car parked there)

they wouldnt dare give me a ticket anyway, i have every right to have parked there, my car is parked legally aswell (we did have permission from tennant)
Not sure about that andy, under those circumstances I think they do you for failing to display a valid permit, rather than the parking itself.

I would imagine a grass verge or island is outside their jurisdiction and would be a job for the police, who are probably to busy to be bothered.

Our local Tesco have installed CCTV on the entry/exit to their car park and there are signs everywhere saying max stay 2 hrs, previously they had a little man who went round typing you reg number into a hand held machine. You must assume (unless it's an elaborate hoax) that the identification a cars entry/exit time is operational, but how can they send out the tickets? Can they legally phone up the DVLC and say give me the address of the owner of car A123ABC? I know that if there is a hit and run you can ask for details of the other car, but on "private property" ie not on the public highway, can they demmand that the address details are supplied?

Sponsored Links
Back