Conduit / cable gland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice please.

Intend to fit a suspended 6ft flurorescent fitting (0.5m with chains) in my workshop.

From what I read I should convert T&E to flex from conduit box.
Do you use one of these bushes on the end of conduit?
MT20FMA.JPG

And then for the flex
EK252W.JPG

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
You could, but it seems overkill.

And where and what sort of joint would you have between the T&E and flex?

Thanks bas, what else can be used instead? Planned to use 20mm conduit through box with choc blocs to connect t&e to flex, thanks

Above light fitting, on ceiling that is

Can plumbing solvent cement be used or is it different stuff for conduit?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd just use a ceiling rose attached to a round conduit box.
Plumbing solvent cement is fine.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd use the rose option too. Ideally a Hager Klik Rose, they're a smudge more expensive than a normal rose, but they fit end boxes better, and one they're in, the fixed wiring never need be touched again. You just unclip your fitting to change. We use them quite a lot

Hi, Thanks alot for the help, ceiling rose sounds like a plan!

I have read to use 1.5mm T&E and 2.5mm flex, is this correct?
Cheers

Hi, it was online somewhere cant remember the site sorry. I may have misread it.

Anyways thanks for the help, will go with those sizes then.

Sorry for being thick here, but I take it if you use a ceiling rose it replaces the conduit lid? Or does the lid go on too?

What do you already have installed in the way of conduit(s) and lighting circuit cables?

What do you already have installed in the way of conduit(s) and lighting circuit cables?

Hi, not got any conduit! I have just 1.5mm T&E clipped directly to concrete wall.

Intend to install it to protect cable from dust/sparks/shrapnel, Cheers
And it looks neater!

if you use a ceiling rose it replaces the conduit lid?

Normally you buy the conduit box, and you buy a lid if you need one.
If you are fitting a rose on the conduit box then you do not need a lid. However, you will need 4mm screws to attach rose to box.

if you use a ceiling rose it replaces the conduit lid?

Normally you buy the conduit box, and you buy a lid if you need one.
If you are fitting a rose on the conduit box then you do not need a lid. However, you will need 4mm screws to attach rose to box.

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense now.

Could you add a lid over the rose if you wanted too? Reason I ask because wouldn't it look ugly?
Rose has thread around it, writing plus knock out lines on the back of it, and you got to find a white one!

Almost every rose I've ever seen is white! I think you're misunderstanding.

Fit the conduit end box, wire the (klik) rose up as normal. Fix that to the conduit box. Wire flex from the fluorescent to the rose (with the rose cover on the cable before you make both connections!) and then screw the standard rose cover over the connections.

Almost every rose I've ever seen is white! I think you're misunderstanding.

Fit the conduit end box, wire the (klik) rose up as normal. Fix that to the conduit box. Wire flex from the fluorescent to the rose (with the rose cover on the cable before you make both connections!) and then screw the standard rose cover over the connections.

Thanks for the explanation, yes I have mis-understood, I pictured just the connector part of the rose being used and not the cover! (ie the connection part facing inside conduit box, flat side facing outwards).

Makes total sense now, thanks.

Think I will go for 1.5mm flex though as it fits quite snuggly in the rose cover.

Cheers guys

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back