Conduit fittings - 1 1/2"

If the box states 1 1/2" and the inner diameter is 2 inches, they are for 1 1/2 inch pipes, not conduit.
Such as these: https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-...s-c244/jtm-pipeline-unlined-steel-clamp-p7518

Conduit is sized on the outer diameter, pipes are sized on the inner bore.
Oh - the 1 1/2" on the outside of the box is for the saddle type (middle picture above) - I don't know the internal diameter of that. The F42 with the internal dia. of 2" are in the first picture above. I did see the unlined steel clapms when I was searching but they have a different base shape completely.

Sponsored Links
Conduit is sized on the outer diameter, pipes are sized on the inner bore.
Is the latter still true of metric steel pipe (if it exists - I've never had reason to look!)?

I ask because, with copper pipe, the change from Imperial to metric obviously resulted in a change from sizing it by ID to sizing it by OD - which is why, for example, 15 mm and ½" copper pipe have almost the same OD (such that the same olives will fit both), even though ½" is 12.7 mm.

Kind Regards, John

Is the latter still true of metric steel pipe
Yes, sized by the nominal inner bore.
Copper is sized on the outer diameter, but is tube rather than pipe, despite being often called pipe.
Steel is pipe, copper is tube.
Pipe is inner bore, tube outer diameter.

Sponsored Links
Yes, sized by the nominal inner bore.
Thanks for clarifying.
Copper is sized on the outer diameter, but is tube rather than pipe, despite being often called pipe.
Ah, education required, it seems - can you help?

Mind you, as I said, even if it is tube rather than pipe, 'the copper one' changed from inner bore to outer diameter size specification when we moved from Imperial to metric, didn't it? ... or are you saying that it also changed from pipe to tube at that time?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back