Conecting an outdoor socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post so I hope its in the correct location.

I am in the process of wiring an outdoor 2 gang socket which is RCD protected. The problem is I'm not sure if the most convenient power source is suitable. I have posted a photo to try and help descibe what I hope to do.

The bottom switch connects to the top which contains a 3amp fuse. The wire coming out from the front then goes to power the combi boiler. Is is suitable to connect into the bottom switch and spur the outdoor socket from there? I hope to power a lawnmower and v. small pond pump from it. If so what size fuse should be in the bottom switchbox.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Answer these few questions.

1. The bottom FCU, where is the pvc/pvc cable coming from? What rating
MCB is protecting this circuit?

2. The bottom FCU, what else is this supplying?

3. The cable entering the bottom FCU, is this 2.5 T&E?

If you asked me to come and do this I would have to refuse, it looks 'bad' anyway an FCU supplying an FCU, stinks of DIY

Is there no where more suitable to draw power from? Or is this simply the nearest place to where you want your external socket.

I'm not being off with you, just trying to help

Ha Ha, no problem. This will be the work of an amature as I am finding these little gems all over my new place. I will try to answer!

1. The bottom FCU, where is the pvc/pvc cable coming from? What rating
MCB is protecting this circuit? Not sure as it goes into the floor but its on the same B32 MCB as the washing machine

2. The bottom FCU, what else is this supplying? Nothing, just the boiler but it looks like at some point there was something.

3. The cable entering the bottom FCU, is this 2.5 T&E? Think so, cant see any identification on it, how would I tell.

Is there a better way of doing this e.g. removing top FCU and wiring the boiler into bottom. I guess if I did I would have to go down to 3 amp fuse.

It would suggest that the T&CPC is possibly a spur from a ring final, or some bodge artist has simply run another cable from the MCB to here. which if they have is plain sh1te. :eek:

If it is a spur, and it is the only item on the spur so far then that is fine, however you just cannot gurantee that with out investigating properly. :(

You certainly don't need both FCU's especially if one JUST supplys the other. :rolleyes:

If I was advising you, I would get rid of one of the FCU's and continue to supply your bolier from the other, and yes 3A fuse.

Have a good look around, are there any sockets that would allow you to spur from them (they must be on the ring) to a NEW FCU to supply your external sockets. :?:

Do not forget if you have external sockets they must be protected by an RCD!! :)

Ideally think about a dedicated circuit, protected by RCD naturally, for your external requirements. :D

TBO, I would get a sparky in to advise you, electricty has a nasty habit of giving you heart ache and possibly heart failure ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I do have an opportunity to access an existing socket on a ring main (I presume/hope) at the moment while my bathroom is being refitted. I would have to drill through a wall and run the cable behind some boxing I will have installed. The outdoor socket has RCD protection, is that suitable? What cable would you advise to spur off ring mains to outdoor socket?

[The outdoor socket has RCD protection, is that suitable?

You mean it has a built in RCD?

2.5mm T&E, but that will need to be internal only, i.e. inside to the back of the socket, seal round socket with suitable mastic

Yes, built in RCD. The socket is fixed to the outside wall, the cable enters directly from hole behind it, though a plastic seal into socket interior. If I mastic correctly would 2.5mm T&E be suitable.

Yes that should be fine, it would be good if you could check the disconnection time of the RCD

Or suck on a bare ended flex plugged into it? ;)

THIS IS A JOKE. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

Not the times, but he could check it works with a 25 watt bulb wired between live and earth. Or just push the test button? ;)

Don't try the lamp thing either, that can also be dangerous. Electricians with the proper test equipment can check the circuit is safe before carrying out a test with a proper instrument. If there is a break in the CPC then any exposed metalwork on the circuit can become live. The only thing you should if you don't have access to the proper test equipment is press the test button.
Why 25w anyway Crafty?

Ok, there are a lot of ideas here and thanks for all the help. All I really need to know is that IF I spur off the back of a ring main socket. Extend the 2.5mm T&E cable 1.5m through an exterior wall into the exterior socket with built in RCD, will I die, or will my house blow up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back