Confessions of a DNO engineer!

At the moment we have deicated teams in cartain areas of our patch, kept busy just replacing the earthing cable (70mm Copper). I have just finished an S/S refurb that has had its earthing stolen three times in the past two months.....we are tending to replace the copper with flat aluminium earth tape which is less appealing to the culprits as its value is lower than copper....Its also becoming apparent that some of the thieves actually may have keys to the substations and as Westie points out they know what theyre doing and have a knowledge of what they can and cant touch.....However some of the thieves dont know what they are doing and one of the latest thefts involved dragging a LIVE 11000/415V transformer out of a sub whilst still connected...luckily for them it tripped out!!!!

Sponsored Links
Had to explain to the police earlier that one of the accused's statements "it couldn't have been me cutting the cable as if I had I would not be here" was untrue!

...However some of the thieves dont know what they are doing and one of the latest thefts involved dragging a LIVE 11000/415V transformer out of a sub whilst still connected...luckily for them it tripped out!!!!

Mental! :eek:

What size transformer?

Sponsored Links
We've had inspection plates taken off HV switchgear & transformers (one case interrupted supply to about 25,000 customers!)

Switchgear tipped over, overhead lines cut down, poles cut down causing lines to trip and conductor stolen.
In the Cumbria floods of 2009 we had one section of line damaged and on the ground so disconnected it, 2 days later the conductor had gone

Some of this is not new, I recall 30 years ago a lot of earth wire being stolen from pylons by climbing them and cutting it down.

A couple of years ago a large 4x4 was seen driving along a road dragging two long lengths telephone cable behind it that it had just pulled out of a manhole.

I have a relative who works for one of the electric companies. Apart from all the above, they've also had (bronze) valves removed from transformer tanks. In one case, the on-call engineer arrived after one had caused an alarm and tripped ... just in time to see the last of the oil running out of the other transformer. IIRC these were 132kV/33kV on the supply side of the substation.

As said above, the cost of the damage caused by these thefts is considerable, yet the value of the scrap metal may be very little. In this case, a few pounds of bronze could have caused a large and expensive transformer to need replacing. And then there was that case (last year ?) where someone nicked the neutral link from a substation down Manchester way - and caused all sorts of damage and fires to residential customers getting exceptionally high supply voltages.

I have a relative who works for one of the electric companies. Apart from all the above, they've also had (bronze) valves removed from transformer tanks. In one case, the on-call engineer arrived after one had caused an alarm and tripped ... just in time to see the last of the oil running out of the other transformer. IIRC these were 132kV/33kV on the supply side of the substation.

As said above, the cost of the damage caused by these thefts is considerable, yet the value of the scrap metal may be very little. In this case, a few pounds of bronze could have caused a large and expensive transformer to need replacing. And then there was that case (last year ?) where someone nicked the neutral link from a substation down Manchester way - and caused all sorts of damage and fires to residential customers getting exceptionally high supply voltages.

Did this happen in the wigan area?

we lost our electricity supply because 2 valves were stolen from the oil cooling system on the transformers feeding a large area.

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/thieves_cause_power_outage_1_2622775

And this is where the neutral link was nicked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ters-called-71-homes-massive-power-surge.html

Andy

Did this happen in the wigan area?

we lost our electricity supply because 2 valves were stolen from the oil cooling system on the transformers feeding a large area.

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/thieves_cause_power_outage_1_2622775[/QUOTE]
I honestly don't know - I didn't get that level of detail, or if I did then I've forgotten. Lucky there were alternative supplies at that one, if they did that to two transformers at our local 132/33/11kV substation then we'd be without power until one of them was repaired/inspected/brought back online.
And this is where the neutral link was nicked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...led-71-homes-massive-power-surge.html[/QUOTE]
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of.

Trouble is, if these people are ever caught, they'll probably get nothing more than a stern telling off. <Daily Wail mode>Hanging's too good for them</Daily Wail mode>

The two persons that started this off are being prosecuted for theft - the steel pipes and criminal damage - the cable.
Statement number two made today explaining why one of them wasn't killed!

It's a pity they weren't badly burnt as that would have been a better punishment than the courts could dish out.

Anyway nice one westie it must have been strange explaining why someone was not killed,I do wonder if they knew what was in the pipes.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back