Confessions of a DNO engineer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So there I was last Wednesday, getting towards the end of the working day (but on standby until Thursday morning). Just before 4pm I get a phone call from our control room, we had lost supply to about 1200 customers in a town about 10 miles from the office, asking me to attend.

So I get my gear on and set off. On the way I get a call telling me a customer had reported seeing some "contractors" working in the river, at the time the power went off there had been a large flash and a bang where one of them was working.

Now I know that a cable crosses this river at about the location of the report, it is in a 150mm steel pipe and there are two other spare pipes. They had all been visible on the river bed after the floods of November 2009 and a scheme was being planned to replace them

Called to see the customer and sure enough two guys had been cutting and removing the pipes until one of them cut into the one containing the live 11,000V cable!!
He was seen to fall back into the water, get up and return to the vehicle they had, his mate went and retrieved the power saw and then they, quickly, drove off.
I then went to the location of the damage and found the cable had indeed been cut about 12 inches from the river bank!

Supplies were then quickly restored and the police called.
Sent them some photos of it to them this morning and got a phone call asking if I could call in and make a statement. Both had been arrested and bailed.

One of them is very lucky to be alive and uninjured!

Cost of stolen pipe - £150
Cost to lay a new cable across river by directional drilling £90,000

Sponsored Links
I'll bet they won't get fined £90,000 though so it will be us that end up paying it.

Good work though.

Andy

At least they did not leave a dangerous power saw laying around for some child to pick up and play with.

:evil:

Sponsored Links
Doesn't surprise me these days.

The church and the primary school in my village both had the lead stripped from their roofs over the weekend :evil:

I see in the BBC link these scumbags are also stealing copper off tradesmens vans too.

It's a sad fact but any plumber leaving copper pipe on the roof of his van overnight is asking for trouble.

OOI, do you have a rough idea of the scrap value of the copper that gets nicked to cost you that?

Generally earthing cables and tape as they are usually 70mm2 copper. They have got smart and leave the center point earth on transformers - in the early days we were having neutral faults affecting whole substations (700+ customers).

To the best of our knowledge there have been at least 3 deaths and more injuries to the idiots.

Around here I see loops on the earth wires on poles where people have tried pulling them out.

It's getting a joke round here....working at a property yesterday I noticed a 28mm copper pipe (safety discharge from the unvented cyl) had been ripped off the wall. The pipe was less than a foot long. The guard cage around it had also been ripped off.

The amount of wagons floating around here asking for metal has increased a lot over the past year.
I caught 2 men at the back of our property and they asked me if i had any metal i didn't want and i said (smile you on candid camera ) and if i see them again i'll report them to the police which i did anyway as i had the reg number of the wagon.

The police could not do anything but at least they also have their reg number.

Andy

Sparks_300X454.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back