confirmation of neutral to light switch (pic attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been getting into home automation over last 12 months. Nest thermostat, smartthings hub, some lightwaverf relays/wireless switches for outside lights etc.
Have a couple of lifx bulbs in the hall, and its always annoyed me about the ongoing issue with smart light switches (someone turns the switch off, and the bulb cant be controlled etc) that afflicts users in the UK. Anyway, was looking at various solutions for resolving (relays, wireless switches etc) and decided to take a look at the wiring. Surprisingly it appears to have a neutral wire feeding the switch (in hindsight this makes sense as the switch was added during some building work a couple of years ago). The original switches in the house don't have a neutral. This allows me to consider using various powered smart switches. Just to be 100% sure, can someone check the picture and confirm if it has neutral (done a fair amount of electrics around the house over the year, but never had a neutral to the light switch before). I can buy the smart switch if I know there is a neutral.
The pic is back of 2 toggle switch (common at bottom of pic, and S1 towards top). Its the blue wires that I think confirm it?
Thanks in advance...
Kris

Attachments

• IMAG0633.jpg
    IMAG0633.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 318
Sponsored Links
its always annoyed me about the ongoing issue with smart light switches (someone turns the switch off, and the bulb cant be controlled etc) that afflicts users in the UK.
FYI - that is an "annoyance " which is incredibly easy to fix, and to prevent from ever happening again.

Its the blue wires that I think confirm it?
Why not just test them and find out?

They probably are neutrals, but it's possible that the switch was installed by a numpty who didn't know you could use both cores in T&E for switch drops.

I'm not sure what easy to fix solution exists for this problem, assuming you want to be able to use the switch still, and not rely just on apps? For the outside lights, I use a lightwaverf relay, and have covered the powered lightswitch with a lightwaverf wireless switch!

Testing will be next on the list, just wanted to get a idea I was going in the right direction! The sparky who installed all the electrics couple of years ago, was pretty sound, and knew his stuff, so hopefully its 'probably'... :)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what easy to fix solution exists for this problem, assuming you want to be able to use the switch still, and not rely just on apps?
Are you not?

Good lord.

Let me give you a clue...
its always annoyed me about the ongoing issue with smart light switches (someone turns the switch off, and the bulb cant be controlled etc) that afflicts users in the UK.

The sparky who installed all the electrics couple of years ago, was pretty sound, and knew his stuff, so hopefully its 'probably'... :)
I'm sure it will be.

How would you know that he "knew his stuff"?
He was onsite for a few months (was also a carpenter, so all in one solution for fitting the kitchen), and was always happy to explain what he was doing. Also got complimented by the third party part P certifier, who was very happy with the job done!

Are you not?

Good lord.

Let me give you a clue...

Still not sure what your referring to. IF you have a neutral, then yes, lots of smart switch options available. If no neutral, very limited in the UK, usually relying on some kind of relay installed behind switch or light, or using a smart dimmer switch which is not always autopsies for the bulbs. If you just referring generally to merits of smart switches, then each to their own, for reasons why...

Still not sure what your referring to.

My guess is that a app controlled switch that cannot be used if someone has flicked the proper switch to 'Off', is not really a very 'Smart' switch is it?

The best type of switch is one that is not reliant on WiFi, not on the internet, and not prone to having it's support dropped by the IOT provider. Basically, a normal light switch, or a luxury dimmer.

Still not sure what your referring to.
I don't have any of the woes which you do because of your smart switches. And it's not because I have a neutral at each switch.

Are you sure you can't work out why?

If you just referring generally to merits of smart switches, then each to their own, for reasons why...
Indeed.

But whatever the reason, you made the decision to deliberately replace perfectly good switches with pointless toys which don't work very well, so don't complain that the pointless toys don't work very well - it was your choice to do it, and it is your choice to keep on doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back