Need to get neutral to a Light Switch

RPB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone help please?
I need to get a neutral wire to the actual light switch on the wall. Can I take a neutral from a ring main and track in to the light switch or does it have to come from the lighting ring.

The reason I wnat to take it from the ring main is beacause it is a shorter route.

The reason i need to do this is because I want to install a X10 home automation switch which requires a neutral.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You must take the neutral from the lighting circuit. Taking it from another circuit will create a dangerous situation for anyone working on either circuit in future.

You need to take it from the lighting circuit.

One reason is if you have a split RCD consumer unit (Or ever fit one in the future) you would not be able to stop the RCD tripping if you mix a ring main neutral with a light circuit live.

Definately not from your ring, it must come from your lighting circuit.

You should be be to take it off yout nearest ceiling rose.

Check to see if the wires onto your light switch are in trunking, if so you may well be able to push a thin rod down there and then pull the wire through.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Many thanks!! I really appreciate the speady response!!

Is it ok to take the neutral direct from the light on the ceiling by pushing another cable into the neutral connector and then tracking it to the switch or does it have to come directly from the junction box (i have replace the old ceiling rose in favour of junction boxs).

To clarify, can I take a neutral from anywhere on the lighting main as long as it is on the lighting main.

RPB said:
Hi

Many thanks!! I really appreciate the speady response!!

Is it ok to take the neutral direct from the light on the ceiling by pushing another cable into the neutral connector and then tracking it to the switch or does it have to come directly from the junction box (i have replace the old ceiling rose in favour of junction boxs).

To clarify, can I take a neutral from anywhere on the lighting main as long as it is on the lighting main.

Although technically this is correct, it would be advisable to get the neutral from where it is being used. This way if something goes wrong and someone else comes along to fault find there isn't some random cable going to the switch that it isn;t obvious what it is doing.

Depending on exactly how the cable gets to the switch, it may be possible to replace a twin & earth cable with a 3 core and earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back