Installing a neutral wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I am needing to know if this is possible to install a neutral wire into a lighting circuit in the garage. Reason for this is, the Home Automation device requires a neutral wire.

Regards

Rich

Sponsored Links
If there is no neutral at the switch, there will be one at the light. However there may not be a permanent live at the light. What supply does this home automation need? Sure it can come off the lighting circuit?

Do you mean you require a neutral at a light switch?

If so, I assume there is a 2 core and earth cable at the switch?

If so, replace the 2 core and earth for a 3 core and earth and get the neutral from the light.

IF NOT, give us some more info.

Do you mean you require a neutral at a light switch?

If so, I assume there is a 2 core and earth cable at the switch?

If so, replace the 2 core and earth for a 3 core and earth and get the neutral from the light.

IF NOT, give us some more info.

Way to slow... ;)

Sponsored Links
If there is no neutral at the switch, there will be one at the light. However there may not be a permanent live at the light. What supply does this home automation need? Sure it can come off the lighting circuit?

The system runs off 230v the same as the lighting system.

Reason am asking is the normal modules i use melted just after installing into garage cause it uses tube lights and i only find out after that tube lights and these modules dont mix.

I will check the light and get back to you

Hi

I have attached picture of inside of light fitting. the bottom connection is labelled N and wire going into it.

Just take a feed from here correct?

Rich

Ah ok, presumably so you can switch the lights on remotely?

What wires do you currently have at the light fitting?

Do you also have 3 wires at the switch?

Does this resemble your lighting circuit layout?

electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting:jb.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back